Hortonworks Data Platform Review

It is open and there is no lock-in.

What is most valuable?

We evaluated Cloudera and Hortonworks. Based on our evaluation and actual experience in production of 60 nodes and development of 12 nodes, the most valuable features of Hortonworks are:

• 100% open
  • No lock-in like Cloudera
  • Fast and accurate support instantly
  • Largest number of committers to Hadoop by any means
  • Hive is better in performance and ease of use compared to Impala

How has it helped my organization?

It helps a lot in data in motion (ingestion and manage in real time). We are able to do 3rd-party data monetization of our data within a t+20 minute time frame to our end customers.

What needs improvement?

• Cost
  • Reliability
  • Speed
  • Ease of use

I have used it for three years.

I initially encountered deployment issues, but they were very good in resolving them.

I have not encountered stability issues.

I have not encountered any scalability issues at all. That's the key reason we picked HDP over Cloudera, as Cloudera have issues & don't support compression of Hive in ORC format. They push only their products (not good).

Customer service has been excellent from the day one until now... and our Admin is comfortable with the SLA and turnaround time.

Technical support is very good and proactive with SmartSense.

We previously used a different solution. We switched from Cloudera. Initially, we went with Cloudera due to it being a popular choice in the market, etc, then realized it was bad choice. Before we scaled from 6 nodes to 12 nodes and before we went livein production, we scrapped it due to Impala's performance and lock-in.

Using Ambari, it was easy to set up and we even tried the AWS for a test cluster.

An in-house team implemented it: two admins, seven developers, one data scientist, one PM and 22 business users at the customer (end-user side).

ROI is 300%.

Hortonworks is the best, comparing all three flavors. If all is well, we might use open source alone in the next three years; others you can't due to lock-in...

Before choosing this product, we also evaluate Cloudera.

What other advice do I have?

It is the best in terms of product vision and actual delivery.