Hortonworks Data Platform Review

A cost-effective alternative for managing our big data

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to look at and manage big data. It's mostly historical data that we offload from our data warehouse, as well as from other databases in other platforms.

We have two different installations. The first one is based on IBM POWER CPUs, and the other one is based on Intel CPUs. Our data center is on-premise. There is some thought on moving to a private could, or a private IBM cloud, but we have not proceeded with that as of yet.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution is a cheaper way for us to offload the otherwise expensive data. We can move data from outdated database versions, such as Oracle 10. It is now out of support, but still hosts some of our historical data. This solution has helped us move our data to the current version.

Previously, we had our data on more expensive platforms. Now, using this solution, it is much cheaper to have all of the data available for searching, not in real-time, but whenever there is a pending request.

What needs improvement?

We have had problems with the backup and with services that require a disaster site. We are still struggling with some of these issues.

We are having trouble with Active Directory and Hive integration.

I would like to see more support for containers such as Docker and OpenShift.

About a year and a half.

We have had some issues with the code, but it's mostly from the developers. From our side, we don't see any issues with stability, although it may be that we have a lot of unused CPU capacity.

We have not acquired any additional hardware since our initial purchase. However, we expect more use cases to be added, at which point we may have performance or scalability problems.

The initial setup is not very difficult. The configuration is not easy, but somebody with some experience is able to set it up. We had users for which we had to set up quotas and queues. For us, the basic installation was completed within a matter of a week.

We had IBM set up both of our installations.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product, but we still have some issues with backup, and the performance monitors that we install on every system. There may be solutions, but we're struggling to integrate them.

This is a product that I recommend. It's a solution that comes at a lower price, and it works well if you don't have expectations that it will behave like a much more expensive system.

More Hortonworks Data Platform reviews from users