Pgzybd0n 400x400

HPE 3PAR Flash Storage Review
Recently introduced features allow customers to use solid state disks to cache I/O to magnetic disks.

As a storage technical consultant, I have implemented HP StoreServ (3PAR) systems for customers for the past 3½ years. The StoreServ family of arrays accommodate up to three storage tiers within a single chassis and scales nicely from small shops to large data centers using either fibre channel or iSCSI attachment.

Recently introduced features allow customers to use solid state disks to cache I/O to magnetic disks (Adaptive Flash Cache) and deploy de-duplication on certain configurations. Also, HP will soon offer file services (CIFS and NFS) provided directly by the array controllers on specific controller models.

The StoreServ family is one of the easiest array platforms to manage that I have worked with. I have been particularly impressed by how quickly my customers are able to learn basic array management techniques; it normally takes less than a day before a customer with no prior 3PAR experience is able to create storage and provision LUNs to their host systems.

Deciding what features and options to include with a StoreServ array can be daunting if you do not have experience with the product. One of the most valuable optional features is Dynamic Optimization, which allows customers to seamlessly and non-disruptively change storage tiers and RAID levels. I recommend including Dynamic Optimization with all but the very smallest and most static configurations.

System Reporter is another must-have license, as it unlocks access to the performance data the StoreServ collects. Customers should also consider including Virtual Copy, the snapshot feature. Many situations arise where snapshots are unexpectedly useful.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: The company I work for is an HP Partner
2 visitors found this review helpful
Ravi teja polina li?1429506175Calvin zito li?1414332423

1 Comment

Calvin zito li?1414332423

Couldn't agree more. And if you didn't see, HP 3PAR StoreServ was named the All-Flash product of the year by TechTarget. I have a blog post that talks about it. http://hpstorage.me/19Cw9a8

And like I said in the post, I'm still doing a happy dance. Very proud of what HP Storage has accomplished with 3PAR.

Like (0)19 February 15
Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About HPE 3PAR Flash Storage?

Our experts can help. 213,874 professionals have used our research on 5,586 solutions.