Pgzybd0n 400x400

HPE 3PAR Flash Storage Review
We migrated pieces from various storage technologies - EVA, Nexsan, and an old EMC Clarion. They were all EOL and 3PAR had the performance to consolidate all the workloads.

Valuable Features:

The performance is a good feature.

Improvements to My Organization:

We have consolidated our storage solution from six EVA's of various ages into a single 3PAR array.

Room for Improvement:

The support needs to be improved.

Use of Solution:

I've used it for three years.

Deployment Issues:

The only issue I run into with HP storage is that they are not really focused on parallel file systems. It's not that their hardware is incapable, it's that HP's knowledge and support in this space is extremely limited and they are not interested in developing it.

Stability Issues:

No issues encountered.

Scalability Issues:

The array was fully built out when purchased. The only scalability available is to stripe the file system across a second array, which is a very viable option.

The pre-sales team is 8.5/10, however, post sales team is a 3/10.

The parts replacement is good, however, as for serious technical issues, getting to someone who actually knows enough to help is usually a challenge. This is especially for areas that HP are not interested in developing.

Previous Solutions:

We migrated pieces from various storage technologies - EVA, Nexsan, and an old EMC Clarion. They were all EOL and 3PAR appeared to have the performance to consolidate all the workloads at the right price.

Initial Setup:

Any time you're setting up a parallel file system, the setup is going to be complex. I'd say it was no more complex than any other. However, HP's limited experience with parallel file systems on their hardware (especially at the time we purchased the 10800 three years ago) was limited so a lot of performance tuning had to be done prior to releasing the system into production.

Implementation Team:

We did it mainly in-house, but HP brought in a partner for the rack, stack and cabling. I then did the implementation with limited guidance from HP engineers.

ROI:

I don't know the financials, but we were able to quadruple the production output by shifting the work to the 3PAR array.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

I don't have an idea of actual numbers, but I do remember at a high-level meeting, stating that a three year lease, including hardware support, would cost us about as much as we were then paying for support for the six EVAs that we owned.

Other Solutions Considered:

• DDN
  • EMC
  • Isilon

Other Advice:

3PAR is the best storage product HP has ever sold. It's not cheap, but it's definitely one of the better block-level storage products out there.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a HP Platinum partner

1 Comment

Calvin zito li?1414332423

Thanks for the review. HP 3PAR All-Flash won the All-Flash Product of the Year Award from TechTarget. I have a blog that talks about it. http://hpstorage.me/19Cw9a8. We also introduced the 7000 family that brought the fabulous 3PAR architecture down to the midrange and in fact in less than a year rocketed to the #2 mid-range array.

For anyone that wants to read more about HP 3PAR, here's a link to the hp.com product page: http://hpstorage.me/1IW1V0t. And if you want a more technical view, here's a link to 3PAR articles on my blog: http://bit.ly/XJjczN.

You mentioned the post-sales support. Please feel free to reach out to me as I'd like to hear more. My email address is hpstorageguy at hp dot com.

Like (0)29 April 15