Pgzybd0n 400x400

HPE 3PAR Flash Storage Review
We like the ability for data to be auto-tiered and the flash capabilities.

Valuable Features:

The ability for data to be auto-tiered and the flash capabilities.

Improvements to My Organization:

The ability for the PAR array to thin provision, effectively means that we can buy only what we need for the first year, and then plan and manage the data for future growth. What this means, is better value for money and long term cost savings.

Room for Improvement:

Scalability, in the sense that it would be awesome if the product had the capability to not only scale spindles, but also processing power.

Use of Solution:

I've been using it for three years.

Deployment Issues:

No major issues were encountered.

Stability Issues:

No issues encountered.

Scalability Issues:

No issues encountered, but to reiterate, it would be nice to scale processing power as well.

It varies, sometimes they are a 9/10, and some days they can be 4/10.

It varies, sometimes they are a 9/10, and some days they can be 2/10.

Previous Solutions:

We previously used an older HP model and switches, and we upgraded as it was a storage refresh.

Initial Setup:

It was straightforward – it was stood up pretty easily and management is simple enough.

Implementation Team:

We had team from HP implement is for us and they were easily 9/10.

Other Solutions Considered:

We also looked at EMC and IBM array’s in the same class, but 3PAR was a better value for money with what they were able to offer.

Other Advice:

This is a good, stable product, and management is pretty straightforward. For the price, it is a no brainer.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are an HP Partner

4 Comments

Calvin zito li?1414332423

Nice review Gerald. For anyone that wants to dive deeper, here's a link to many, many 3PAR articles on my blog: http://hpstorage.me/1IAQhqU.

Like (1)03 May 15
Aaeaaqaaaaaaaaj5aaaajdmxowixytg4ltdinjatnda0mc1hmthhlty1ntu4ywe0ndzhyq
Gerald DavidConsultant

Thank you Calvin. It truly is one of the best storage products out there today. I'm excited to see dedupe for FC disks. That will be a game changer.

Like (0)07 May 15
Anonymous avatar x30

Hello Gerald. I do not think De-duplication in disks that are rotating media is a good choice unless you accept a compromise in performance. De-Duplication in SSD Disks is something different cause is is not easy to utilize SSD's at full performance they give as well as 3PAR is wide stripping volume data to all available disks. Just my 2 cents.

Like (1)08 May 15
Aaeaaqaaaaaaaaj5aaaajdmxowixytg4ltdinjatnda0mc1hmthhlty1ntu4ywe0ndzhyq
Gerald DavidConsultant

Yep, that's a good point about the performance penalty. I just think if there is that option, then the initial start up cost could be more attractive to a potential customer. In saying that, if dedupe functionality is available for FC disks, ideally that array should have SSD's as well to balance off overall performance.

Like (0)12 May 15

Have A Question About HPE 3PAR Flash Storage?

Our experts can help. 204,199 professionals have used our research on 5,524 solutions.