HPE 3PAR Flash Storage Review

We like the ability for data to be auto-tiered and the flash capabilities.

What is most valuable?

The ability for data to be auto-tiered and the flash capabilities.

How has it helped my organization?

The ability for the PAR array to thin provision, effectively means that we can buy only what we need for the first year, and then plan and manage the data for future growth. What this means, is better value for money and long term cost savings.

What needs improvement?

Scalability, in the sense that it would be awesome if the product had the capability to not only scale spindles, but also processing power.

I've been using it for three years.

No major issues were encountered.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered, but to reiterate, it would be nice to scale processing power as well.

It varies, sometimes they are a 9/10, and some days they can be 4/10.

It varies, sometimes they are a 9/10, and some days they can be 2/10.

We previously used an older HP model and switches, and we upgraded as it was a storage refresh.

It was straightforward – it was stood up pretty easily and management is simple enough.

We had team from HP implement is for us and they were easily 9/10.

We also looked at EMC and IBM array’s in the same class, but 3PAR was a better value for money with what they were able to offer.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good, stable product, and management is pretty straightforward. For the price, it is a no brainer.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are an HP Partner
4 Comments

author avatarUser at HPE

Nice review Gerald. For anyone that wants to dive deeper, here's a link to many, many 3PAR articles on my blog: http://hpstorage.me/1IAQhqU.

author avatarSolutions Architect - EMC at Ingram Micro NZ

Thank you Calvin. It truly is one of the best storage products out there today. I'm excited to see dedupe for FC disks. That will be a game changer.

author avatarPresales Technical Consultant Storage at Hewlett Packard Hellas Ltd.

Hello Gerald. I do not think De-duplication in disks that are rotating media is a good choice unless you accept a compromise in performance. De-Duplication in SSD Disks is something different cause is is not easy to utilize SSD's at full performance they give as well as 3PAR is wide stripping volume data to all available disks. Just my 2 cents.

author avatarSolutions Architect - EMC at Ingram Micro NZ

Yep, that's a good point about the performance penalty. I just think if there is that option, then the initial start up cost could be more attractive to a potential customer. In saying that, if dedupe functionality is available for FC disks, ideally that array should have SSD's as well to balance off overall performance.