Pgzybd0n 400x400

HPE 3PAR Flash Storage Review

Valuable Features:

The thin technology and adaptive optimization features make the SAN appear bigger and faster than what it replaced, all the while using a third of the rack space. We also use Flash SSD disks for adaptive optimization, and this speeds up the performance up to 10 times what it was.

Improvements to My Organization:

We are using a lot less power and space with this SAN compared to our previous solution. This SAN only takes a third less power and capacity, yet it provides almost twice the performance.

Room for Improvement:

The only area I would say that could use improvement is communication on what upgrades should be applied. We have been told that the re-seller cannot perform, nor recommend, upgrades.

Use of Solution:

We have been using the product for about two years.

Deployment Issues:

Installation was quite easy, and we were using the SAN very quickly.

Stability Issues:

None! We had a failed disk and have had replacements before we even knew! Rebuild times are fast!

Scalability Issues:

We added a shelf online with no issues and the SAN was online during the upgrade.

Great, they are able to be reached quickly and without any issues.

Support know the product very well and will escalate any issue quickly within their tiers and without being asked.

Previous Solutions:

We used an EMC solution before. The price, performance and features swayed us to HP 3PAR.

Initial Setup:

Setup was reasonably easy. We used a CD and a VM template to “birth” the unit. It was all wizard driven and intuitive.

Implementation Team:

We used a vendor team who were knowledgeable of the product.

ROI:

Great! The product has exceeded our expectations.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

The product seemed to be too cheap when compared to replacing our existing SAN. Therefore, we were hesitant at the features and performance offered. I believe we spent around C$80k for the system. Maintenance and proactive support was included, so day to day costs are really only power.

Other Solutions Considered:

We compared EMC and IBM, but both cost more and lacked key space and performance features.

Other Advice:

Compare all vendors carefully as there are a lot of features that appear to be similar but in actuality are very different.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a 3PAR reseller
1 visitor found this review helpful
Calvin zito li?1414332423

1 Comment

Calvin zito li?1414332423

Hi Dan - can you say what array HP 3PAR replaced? Thanks for the review. For anyone that wants to dive deeper, here's a link to many, many 3PAR articles on my blog: http://hpstorage.me/1IAQhqU.

Like (0)03 May 15