HPE 3PAR StoreServ Review

It has common provisioning groups which allowed us to create multiple RAIDs on the same disks.

What is most valuable?

3PAR has CPG (common provisioning groups) which allowed us to create multiple RAIDs on the same disks, move LUNS between CPGs and between RAID arrays. No other storage had this capability.

How has it helped my organization?

It gave me flexibility in moving things around, for example, I could move the production LUN and test LUNs from RAID 5 to RAID 6 in order to have more redundancy disk failures.

I used it for six months, but am now at a company that is not using it.

It's very stable, and very fast. Creating virtual disks took literally one minute for a 100GB VM disk.

No issues encountered.

HP was very helpful all the way through.

10/10.

We used a NetApp N6040n, and we switched in order to have more flexibility on our storage array as CPG moved LUNs between different RAID arrays.

It's very straightforward to configure. You need to connect the service processor to the storage array and then finish the configuration settings.

HP technicians did the initial deployment and I did the initial configuration. Even without any training I was able to the update firmware to v3.1.3, perform the software configuration, configure the ILO and service processor.

We also looked at EMC but 3PAR was the cheaper solution, and it was more flexible.

What other advice do I have?

It integrates very well with Windows 2012 as well as VMware.

More HPE 3PAR StoreServ reviews from users
...who compared it with HPE EVA
1 Comment

author avatarit_user107568 (User at HPE)

Thanks for the review Dalibor. We just need to get you a 3PAR at your new company! For those that want to learn more about HP 3PAR, here's a link to the hp.com product page: http://hpstorage.me/1IW1V0t. And if you want a more technical view, here's a link to 3PAR articles on my blog: http://bit.ly/XJjczN