Pgzybd0n 400x400

HPE 3PAR Flash Storage Review
We’re getting the performance that we need and it's easy to manage.

Valuable Features:

It is incredibly easy to manage. We’re getting the performance that we need, and that’s what we need storage to be. We plug it in and it works, and everybody forgets about it, which is what we need. We’re using 3 different RAIDS, and it’s working just fine.

Improvements to My Organization:

It’s not as complex as EMC, so whenever there’s requirements for allocating storage, it’s very easy to do. The turnaround only takes 48 hours, whereas with EMC it was taking three days to a week to allocate that storage.

Room for Improvement:

I'd like to see the system reporter improve. With the reporting feature, I’d like a little more versatility in how I get my reports. The 3PAR just runs and nobody complains, but I’d like to see what the warnings the reporting gives me actually means. I would like that feature to be enhanced more to get rid of more false positives errors. Also, the drive replacement on the 10800 needs improvement. It’s a magazine that has four drives, and to replace one drive, I wish they would not spin down all of the drives just to replace one. It makes me a bit nervous when they do that to replace a failed drive.

Stability Issues:

Very stable and performance is great.

Scalability Issues:

We haven’t really scaled. We have a nice sized array right now, as we’ve just started the migration process. But we have the ability to scale if we need it. We have 25 HP 3PAR devices right now, and will get 25 more. We also have 50 EMCs that we’ve been trying to migrate over from.

It’s been okay. With me being a 3PAR person, my struggle with HP is that when I know more about the product they still take me to the level one person, which wastes my time.

Previous Solutions:

It was before my time, but they wanted to diversify from EMC. We are slowly migrating entirely to HP.

Initial Setup:

Very straightforward. It plays with our Oracle products very well too, which we like.

Other Solutions Considered:

Just EMC, who were already in place.

Other Advice:

I think that the most important criteria when selecting a vendor is the business need and the reliability to make my job easier. I need it to be fast and efficient and be able to get graphs and reports from it. Definitely look at 3PAR as it’s a great piece of hardware.

1 visitor found this review helpful
Calvin zito li?1414332423

1 Comment

Calvin zito li?1414332423

Patrick - thanks for the review. I believe that HP 3PAR is a superior storage array than EMC. I'm glad to read reviews like yours that confirm it. For anyone that wants to dive deeper, here's a link to many, many 3PAR articles on my blog: http://hpstorage.me/1IAQhqU.

Like (0)28 July 15
Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About HPE 3PAR Flash Storage?

Our experts can help. 213,511 professionals have used our research on 5,586 solutions.