Pgzybd0n 400x400

HPE 3PAR Flash Storage Review
I found the product to be easier than others to administer because it’s virtual storage that aggregates all the disks together.

Valuable Features:

I like the adaptive optimization and that it functions as virtual storage and I don’t have to go in and carve things across spindles.

Improvements to My Organization:

The biggest benefit is the ease of administration, since we only have one administrator – me. If I’m not there and others need to be able to allocate storage, I can give a step-by-step guide for my company to follow to do that; whereas if I had an EMC product, for example, we’d need two administrators. We’re an agricultural co-op so we have to run a very lean IT shop.

Room for Improvement:

In future versions, I would like to see Peer Motion become bi-directional, and also able to function over the normal data ports and not require extra ports. I thought I was going to like storage v-motion, but I’m running into problems where Peer Motion doesn’t do what it was advertised to do.

It works as if we have a disk on that is currently our destination, and we wanted to put that on our source 3PAR. We have to tear down our Peer Motion and rezone a bunch of stuff, changing how courts are acting on the 3PARs, and rebuild a new Peer Motion configuration. Because of this, it’s a lot more cumbersome than what we thought it would be.

Deployment Issues:

None. It's an easy system to get installed and up and running.

Stability Issues:

It’s very stable; rock solid.

Scalability Issues:

It meets our needs. I don’t foresee a point where we won’t be able to meet our needs with 3PAR.

Excellent. We do have critical support,  but for us, the cost of critical support is well worth it.

Two pieces. First, the 3PAR people (backend support) are kind of hit and miss, and it depends on who you get. I’ve had some great people and I’ve had others who seem to think it was their mission in life to frustrate me. As I understand it, most are based in Colorado but others are based in India, and it’s really hard to communicate with them at times.

We have what’s considered a secure site, and 3PAR can’t just remote into our SANs, and their technicians seem to take issue with that sometimes. However, the hardware people, meaning the field service engineers, are excellent.

Previous Solutions:

Well, we had an EVA, which is another HP product, and our storage usage was growing so fast that we weren’t going to be able to expand that to cover what we needed.

Initial Setup:

It was very easy to set up.

Other Solutions Considered:

We looked at Dell, HP, NetApp, and EMC.  There are two big reasons why we chose HP:

1. The 3PAR product is a lot easier to administer because it’s a virtual storage that aggregates all the disks together; and
  2. There were two virtual products for what we were looking for, but we liked what it did in terms of optimization better than Dell.

Other Advice:

Support and service is a big one for us, we needed good support. Also, we had to make sure pricing was good. For our purposes, it’s the best SAN that we have found. The things that keep it from being 10/10 are things like Peer Motion and the back end service.

Unless you have a very specific kind of load that requires a super high-end array, which 3PAR is not designed to be, I would recommend you look at HP, as there’s a very wide range of what HP can cover.

1 visitor found this review helpful

7 Comments

Calvin zito li?1414332423

Hi Michael - thanks so much for the great review. And I've got great news for you. At HP Discover at the beginning of June, we announced bi-directional Peer Motion. You can read about it here in this blog post from the product manager. http://hpstorage.me/1I2wzpM

If there's anything I can help you with, don't hesitate to reach out.

Currently comparing HP 3PAR 7200 and Nimble CS300. Article is helpful

Like (1)15 July 15
Calvin zito li?1414332423

Hi Bill - There's not much I'll say in the way of a direct comparison to Nimble but I'd call out a few things about 3PAR:
> HP 3PAR All-Flash won the All-Flash Product of the Year Award from TechTarget. I have a blog that talks about it. http://hpstorage.me/19Cw9a8
> The analyst firm DCIG creates "Buyer's Guides" across many storage products. Not only has HP 3PAR been named the enterprise mid-range "best in class" but also was recently named the Hybrid "best in class". We licensed that report and you can see it on hp.com here: hpstorage.me/1I2Dzms
> One more HP 3PAR point - Gartner just placed HP 3PAR into the leaders quadrant in their latest all-flash array Magic Quadrant. They noted that HP is the fastest growing all-flash array. More about that on Gartner's website: http://www.gartner.com/technology/reprints.do?id=1-2ID0TDI&ct=150624&st=sb%20%3C

There are lots of other reviews here - I encourage you to read them. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out to me.

Steven GilmerReal User

Honest - gives both sides fairly and with great details - Thanks !

Steven GilmerReal User

Thanks Michael for the review ! Very comprehensive with great details. Thanks !

Like (1)15 July 15
Calvin zito li?1414332423

Sorry, a couple of those links didn't work:
> Link to DCIG report: http://hpstorage.me/1I2Dzms
> For the Gartner link, be sure to copy/paste it as part of the URL is dropped from the hyperlink: http://www.gartner.com/technology/reprints.do?id=1-2ID0TDI&ct=150624&st=sb%20%3c

Calvin zito li?1414332423

This is getting annoying! Something is getting changed in the Gartner URL so it doesn't work. I'm removing. Add "www." to this: gartner.com/technology/reprints.do?id=1-2ID0TDI&ct=150624&st=sb%20%3c