Pgzybd0n 400x400

HPE 3PAR Flash Storage Review
The wizard guides you through the installation process and the possibility/feature to move data across tiers (AO) is great.

Valuable Features:

• Peer Motion
  • On-line import
  • AO

Improvements to My Organization:

As a 3PAR consultant, I have installed systems for a lot of customers, municipalities, and other state authorities. I cannot speak for them, but the results are very good. The possibility/feature to move data across tiers (AO) has been a great feature, and of course the possibility to non-disruptively migrate from current storage system to 3PAR.

Room for Improvement:

Deduplication on FC disks needs improvement.

Use of Solution:

I've used it for two years.

Deployment Issues:

As a 3PAR consultant, I’ve seen some deployment issues with the broadcast-handshake procedure between 3PAR and the service processor.

Stability Issues:

I did find a bug in the system in 3.1.2 MU3. Deleted data on the 3PAR did not reclaim the deleted space.

Scalability Issues:

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

9/10.

Previous Solutions:

9/10.

Initial Setup:

Initial setup is straightforward. The wizard guides you through the installation process, but I always install the 3PAR and SP via CLI to eliminate any deployment issues that may occur when using the wizard.

Implementation Team:

Implementing 3PAR StoreServ for clients as a vendor, we have the highest level of expertise, but it would be naive to rate my own level of expertise without any of my clients' inputs. However, I’ve been working with implementation, upgrade and maintaining 3PAR systems for two years with certifications and continuous information regarding anything that happens within the 3PAR storage.

ROI:

Since our company doesn’t own any 3PARs I cannot respond correctly on this question. I consolidate, install, upgrade, and maintain the 3PARs.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

Wait for the right opportunity as HP tends to do “3PAR bundles”. They bundle 3PAR storage and software licenses at a great discount, so never accept the listing price for a 3PAR, but that goes without saying.

Other Solutions Considered:

As an IT consultant, it’s my job to compare different storage solutions. Many of our customers want our consultation where I evaluate and recommend different products depending on the business needs and demands. The other products that usually come in play are Dell, EMC, and NetApp. I’ve also seen some evaluations on a “new” storage manufacturer, Tintri.

Other Advice:

I can clearly see a trend of implementing a full flash array instead of the traditional 3PAR hybrid solution. Why? Well, the cost of SSD is dropping steady and the $/GB is less than FC disks when using deduplication, which is to this date, only applicable on SSD tier. You will not only have lower $/GB, you also significantly increase the performance, stability, and durability. For a smooth start-up, make sure you have done a valid assessment in your environment before implementing a new 3PAR. Read about the different software that 3PAR can offer your business.

0 Comments

Have A Question About HPE 3PAR Flash Storage?

Our experts can help. 203,888 professionals have used our research on 5,518 solutions.