Pgzybd0n 400x400

HPE 3PAR Flash Storage Review
All the disk drives in the system are used for data, since parity and spares are at the chunklet level. I'd like, however, a unified system with the same controller serving both SAN and NAS solutions.

Valuable Features:

• Scaleable from two to eight controller nodes for High Availability
  • Persistent fabric array ports
  • Performance tuning
  • Dynamic and adaptive optimizations
  • Highly granular storage
  • One gigabyte miniature disk concept called "chunklets"
  • Striping of data across all disks available - wide striping
  • Highly intelligent Gen3 and Gen 4 ASICs which acts as the brain of the 3PAR storage systems. This is not a regular CPU
  • Very quick redistribution of data if there's a disk failure
  • All the disk drives in the system are used for data, since parity and spares are at the chunklet level.

Improvements to My Organization:

I cannot share the information on how it improved our storage estates, but in general, it has very good SAN performance compared to EMC Clariion, IBM XIV, IBM Storwize V7000 and its other competitors.

Room for Improvement:

They have released a unified version of HP 3PAR, with a separate NAS server unit in the enclosure/rack. I would like to see a proper unified system (same controller serving both SAN and NAS solutions) such as NetApp offers.

Use of Solution:

We've been using it for three years. We currently have a 7400 (mix of disk drives), and a 7450 (full flash array, only SSD disks),

Stability Issues:

The performance is optimal, if we have planned everything properly well in advance.

Scalability Issues:

These are mid-range storage solutions that can be scaled up to 700TB of space depending on the type of disks we use. It does have enterprise solutions that can scale up to eight  controller nodes with 1.8PB of usable capacity. However, we have a 7400 and a 7450 with lot of provisioning done to ESX systems with thousands of VMs.

HP customer support, especially for 3PAR is excellent.

They have highly skilled technical support team. I would rate them 8/10.

Previous Solutions:

We chose 3PAR because it has the best price compared to its competitors, and delivers the performance expected.

Implementation Team:

The initial setup/installation was done by the vendor. We needed to provide them with the necessary hardware and network information, (DNS, NIS etc). Their experience was very good, I have no complaints.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

Pricing and licensing depend on the customer/partner deals and negotiations/agreements.

Other Advice:

It has met our performance and stability expectations. 3PAR is one of the best in the market and it is evident that its sales have raised to 10x since it was acquired by HP. All cloud solutions from HP and many other companies use HP 3PAR storage on their backend for their cloud solutions.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a platinum customer.

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About HPE 3PAR Flash Storage?

Our experts can help. 233,992 professionals have used our research on 5,903 solutions.