Pgzybd0n 400x400

HPE 3PAR Flash Storage Review
We can quickly move our large volumes and check or test something, and if it's not faster with SSD, we can just move it back.

Valuable Features:

With our previous EVA system, we couldn't shift data between different tiers online. We have multi-tiered storage and can move them online between SSD and global SAS. With 3PAR, we can quickly move our large volumes and check or test something, and if it's not faster with SSD, we can just move it back.

Improvements to My Organization:

We have zero downtime with 3PAR. This saves us a lot of money as the business stays up and running.

Room for Improvement:

There is only one thing I would really like to see, but I'm not entirely sure if this is actually 3PAR-related or not. I'd like real-time reporting. We can get reports, but it's difficult to monitor the system in real-time, which is critical, for example, when something is running slowly. It takes us hours to find out what the system is doing.

Also, real-time reporting will tell me who the "top talker" is at any given time. This is something we go to Brocade for to use their fiber channel and open grid. The first thing it shows is the top 5 talkers so you know that one of those is mostly likely causing the problem.

I think that 3PAR will eventually have the fiber channel feature, increasing its cost. I don't see us buying the license for that, though, as we've already spent a lot of money on 3PAR licenses.

Use of Solution:

We've used it in production for one and a half years.

Stability Issues:

We haven't had a single problem yet. I'm quite happy with that actually.

It's not good and kind of stressful when you're at the first level. Sometimes we have a hard time explaining what our problem is. We have to escalate the issue to someone who really knows what they're talking about.

Initial Setup:

The initial setup with different tiers and adaptive optimizations was very easy after seeing the DQE. Migration of our data that first time was also very easy.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

The pricing is fair, but you have to pay for every little feature, which is something I really dislike about HP. You buy the software, then the hardware, then the OS license, then if you want more, you have to pay more just to put your data on it.

For example, if you want to replicate data, you have to get the replication license. You can't just replicate data and I can't always get budget approved to do that.

Other Advice:

We're really happy with 3PAR as it performs very well despite a few failing discs, which is normal. Upgrades went well and we haven't had any outages. We'd recommend it to others.

0 Comments

Have A Question About HPE 3PAR Flash Storage?

Our experts can help. 204,199 professionals have used our research on 5,524 solutions.