HPE 3PAR Flash Storage Review

The OS and UI are straightforward. It is manageable inside OneView and it is attached to Synergy.

What is most valuable?

We use a lot of different products by HPE, with 3PAR being one of the biggest. When we look at Synergy, we see how we can integrate. We have our 3PAR SAN. We see how we have our physical servers and how we can remove them and bring everything together. 3PAR will always be our back-end and it will always be our storage back-end.

If we can start leveraging some of this cool, new technology into how we deploy servers and how we give our DEV teams and our production teams exactly what they need in the shortest time possible, then that will define our business.

How has it helped my organization?

It is easy to use. The OS and the UI are straightforward. It's all manageable inside HPE OneView and it is attached to HPE Synergy. It's a unified experience. It really sucks going through 10 different systems and trying to fit all of them in. It takes too long and it is confusing. In fact, being unified is what it is all about. Being unified is the biggest win and the biggest draw.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see more Nimble integration, now that HPE owns Nimble. We would like to see how they come up with solutions to integrate Nimble storage and all-flash storage into our existing 3PAR traditional spinning disk. We would like to see what kinds of benefits that would give us. Perhaps we could add more cache.

It is extremely stable. We don't really have any problems. They release updates pretty frequently if there are any major issues. We've never suffered a catastrophic failure. It's been pretty enterprise grade, rock-solid for us.

The scalability is awesome. We just recently upgraded to a new system, and we now have the capacity to scale up. Essentially, the sky is the limit. We'll never get that big because our company is not that big. However, if we wanted to, we could easily scale.

We have used technical support. Usually, they're pretty good, but there's some room for improvement there. Typically, if we have a SevOne, Class A, super high-priority issue, production-down issue, they're pretty good. There are a lot of different cooks in that kitchen. There are a lot of different people and a lot of different, moving pieces. If they can get that integrated a little tighter, that would be even better. But overall, technical support is pretty good.

We were using BlueArc. It is not as resilient and not as robust. It is not as enterprise-grade as an actual HPE 3PAR system is.

When selecting a vendor, you want name recognition. You want to know that you're getting the best of breed. You want hardware services because it's not just about the hardware. The hardware can be awesome, but if you don't have the service to support it, manage it, and maintain it, then it's kind of pointless. HPE brings all of that together: Hardware, service, and support. It's all there.

The installation was actually pretty straightforward. Everything is well-documented, which is another big plus. HPE has always been there for us through each step.

We've looked at Dell, but we've always been an HPE shop. We don't really have any plans of changing that.

What other advice do I have?

I say try it out. There are a lot of test drives of all their solutions. Look at the UI. See how well you can integrate with your existing systems and talk to the HPE guys. They are willing to show off all their technology and all their solutions.

We are very interested to see what HPE starts to offer in terms of integrated Nimble all-flash storage solutions. We’re also curious if HPE are going to introduce anything to augment an existing 3PAR system (ie; are they pluggable modules or expansion hardware that can take advantage of new Nimble-powered low latency, fast access flash storage?). And if they do have these types of solutions roadmapped, we are very interested in seeing what the average and peak theoretical transfer speed/access time improvements are!

1 Comment
author avatarCalvin Zito, HPEStorageGuy

Wow - great review. Thanks for taking the time to leave it and really glad to hear that 3PAR and Synergy is a great fit for you. As for Nimble Storage, you can bet we are working hard to develop our roadmap and our engineers will be working hard to include Nimble where it makes sense. Synergy and Nimble make a lot of sense to me but we'll have to wait and see (I don't know the roadmap and can't talk about it publicly if I did).

For anyone that wants to learn more about 3PAR, here's a link to 3PAR related blog posts on my Around the Storage Block blog: https://community.hpe.com/t5/Around-the-Storage-Block/bg-p/AroundtheStorageBlock/label-name/3PAR