HPE 3PAR Flash Storage Review

It allows us to deliver more storage than other solutions.

What is most valuable?

The solution allows us to provide solid capacity.

How has it helped my organization?

The team provisions and it has been wonderful for our environment. We manage hundreds of terabytes. It allows us to deliver more storage than other solutions. It allows us to have many files so we can provide better service for our customers.

What needs improvement?

Right now, we don't use a solid-state disk. We use a historical monitoring platform for a Telco. For the long-term storage, we don't need so much speed. However, now that we are dealing with the main BI and doing big data with that information, we will need to speed up really fast. Right now, we are thinking of adding some solid-state capacity, or even better, get a new, solid-state controller. That is the new initiative that we have been looking into.

We have not experienced any down times since we started 3PAR. For us, it was the right decision. It was the best way to provide a storage solution for our company. It has been running for over two years without any down time.

In terms of scalability, once we made the capacity planning in the very beginning, we did not need increased capacity. Our operation is stable. We manage a certain kind of volume of data. We don't need to increase so frequently. We have been working with the capacity with which we started at the beginning.

We have used technical support. They came most of the time, even if I didn't need it. I called and they sent some drives if I needed them. There were some pre-failure alarms that we needed to replace and they took care of it. Technical support has been working great.

We were using another solution before. We were spread over different locations so it was the most affordable solution we found.

We needed a new solution. We were working with a partner and they showed us options. We discussed price and we got the point between stability, reliability, and price. These were the main factors in choosing this solution.

The setup was straightforward. It was easy. Most of the activities were done remotely. The field engineer did a lot of it. The factory people get in and set up all the equipment.

We talked to Dell and EMC. We decided upon HPE because the partner with whom we worked hand-in-hand had been working with them for many years.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend this solution. The trends in storage solutions have been going through a lot of changes. They are not as centered on basic storage. They are moving to local and multiple nodes of storage. These storage-defined solutions have been evolving a lot over these last couple of years. It will be a harder decision to choose between one or another vendor.