HPE 3PAR StoreServ Review

We do not have to take the whole system down to do upgrades

What is our primary use case?

It hosts our virtualization platform. It works really well.

How has it helped my organization?

We do not have to take the whole system down now to do upgrades.

What is most valuable?

It is very easy to use. That is its best feature.

What needs improvement?

What I would like to see the SSMC management interface and the regular, Microsoft Management Console (MMC) interface. I would have to use both, because one of them has features, the other one does not, and vice versa.

Three to five years.

It is very stable.

Scalability is improving. We have some 7400s, 8200s, and 8400s. So, we can scale pretty well.

With the support that our organization has, I can talk to someone right away if I have an issue. It has been very good.

We were using HPE EVA. We had a lot of issues with it to begin with. Anytime you wanted to do an upgrade, you had to take systems offline. That just would not work for us.

We switched when our warranties were up.

It was a bit complex in the wiring of the cages. Other than that, it was pretty straightforward.

We also evaluated Dell. We chose 3PAR because of price and functionality.

There are some things out there now, such as HPE SimpliVity that do more things, and maybe we would like to go in that direction. Right now, we are doing a PoC with HPE SimpliVity. It seems to be working well, especially the backup solution that it has with it, where you can do snapshots. We really like that since 3PAR does not have this.

What other advice do I have?

I am not on the latest release yet. We are still trying to get there. The people that I work with at HPE have recommended where we should be in our version. We are not to the 3.3 version yet. I am looking forward to upgrading, because you can do them yourself. You do not have to have HPE do them. Also, it will integrate with InfoSight, which I am looking forward to.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: In our case, price is usually the biggest factor, because we are a university and have no money. Price is always big when we make a decision.

More HPE 3PAR StoreServ reviews from users
...who compared it with HPE Primera
Learn what your peers think about HPE 3PAR StoreServ. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.