HPE 3PAR Flash Storage Review

The initial setup, with computing and networking, was like a greenfield scenario

What is our primary use case?

It is our primary storage array for our virtual environment. We implemented it in the beginning of 2016. It has done well for us.

How has it helped my organization?

We went to an Active-Active data center, set it up to where both data centers are separate, but they act as one. We can have workloads at either side at any given time, and it is all based on the Peer Persistence architecture.

What is most valuable?

• Remote copy
  • Peer Persistence.

What needs improvement?

We have had a few issues with it. We had our virtual environment lock up a few times on storage-based things. We think we have it sorted out, but maybe it came down to a configuration issue on it.

They have starting to do some integration with the VMware and reporting from that. I think continuing along that path would be pretty good.

We have had some issues in the past, maybe due to configuration issues.

No issues with scalability.

We have used technical support. We have proactive care on it, but we found that the GDC team, which is the primary support team for it, has not been on the ball with everything.

There have been misunderstandings with what we are trying to do and with scheduling. We have two 3PARs, so they scheduled the wrong one for the work when it should have been the other one, or scheduling it on one and not the other one when they should be both in sync.

We were using HPE EVA before and the solution had been in place for like six years at that point, so it was ageing, we're limited on what we could do with it. So, it was time to switch over to something that was newer, had better features.

The initial setup was straightforward and easy. We did the whole thing, including compute networking, like it was almost a a greenfield type of scenario. If we had not had an issue getting our circuits put into place, it would have been just a few months and we would have had the whole thing done. However, it was not just storage. It was a new virtual environment, we were putting in NSX networking, new networking switches from HPE, etc.

We had a partner that came in and helped us architect the whole thing, but one other guy and I worked through that whole implementation of it.

I can't really comment on it because I was not part of the whole purchase.

We talked with EMC a little bit, but it was decided pretty quickly that we were going with the HPE solution. We looked at the environment holistically, and we weren't just looking at we replacing storage. We thought, "How are we going to do storage, compute, and networking, then what will it look like?" Then, we chose to partner with HPE rather than just go with a one off here and there.

What other advice do I have?

We have fewer limitations, but there are still limitations that we have work though. Overall, it is a good solution.

We set out to do something very specific with this, and that's the stretch metro cluster. A single VMware cluster across two data centers acting as one, not a lot of people do it in the way that we did it. I am not sure I could advise somebody unless they were doing the exact same thing.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: Speed, scalability, and the ability to support a metro storage cluster environment.