HPE 3PAR Flash Storage Review

Peer Persistence and predictive analytics are key features in our deployment

What is our primary use case?

Virtual machine data storage. It's serving one specific business need.

It is performing as expected. It hasn't been fully exercised as we're still moving production onto it.

How has it helped my organization?

We are still transitioning to it.

What is most valuable?

We're utilizing the Peer Persistence.

Also, we haven't had to fully embrace it yet, but the predictive analytics, where we're getting notifications prior to a failure - we've gotten some during our PoC and testing - has been helpful.

Less than one year.

It has shown a lot of stability. We have a pretty rigorous QA process and there have been some minor issues and some things that we've had to work through, but nothing that has been unpredictable or unexplainable or just flat out faulty. It has been pretty reliable.

I'm not too familiar with the scalability, I haven't to expand on it yet. But, from what I understand, scaling it should be easier than with typical storage platforms. We did recently just add a shelf of disks, which didn't take too much effort. I think it definitely has good scalability, but I don't have too much hands-on with that yet.

Technical support has been pretty good. We always have to work hand in hand with our HPE support teams, we have to provide data and logging and feedback, etc. But typically they're pretty responsive. They dig into issues and but you have to work with them. You can't just throw a problem at them and expect them to fix it, you have to keep an open line of communication, give them the data they need, and work with them that way.

We were in a position where we could reinvent our wheel. We had an older, aging architecture and we needed to update. So, as much as it is a replacement and an upgrade from our existing equipment, it is also brand new. It's a complete transition from where we were to this. It's hard to look at it as a transition when there is that much stark difference. When we get over to it, there's going to be a clear benefit upgrading from what our legacy networks and servers are.

When evaluating a vendor our criteria include

• price
  • customer service
  • quality of the technology
  • whether or not it can serve our needs.

I think once you know the system, the setup is pretty straightforward. Being somewhat unfamiliar with it going into it, it can appear complex. Once you understand the key concepts and the configuration points that 3PAR is using, I think it becomes easier.

We worked at it for at least two weeks, but we had other priorities than just setting it up. We were exploring, poking the box, so it wasn't just an out-of-the-box, get it set up process. The out-of-the-box, basic set up was about a day for rack and stack and then maybe another day or two - once we knew which configuration we needed on it - to have it fully implemented.

Clearly we see value. It is serving a specific purpose for our hardware solution. When our full solution is implemented, there is a clear return on investment, not just for the storage component but for our compute networking components that are part of the larger architecture picture that 3PAR fits into.

Our organization already had an established relationship with HPE so, in this particular case, we weren't in a position to shop this piece of the solution around. We stuck with HPE after making the other decisions.

What other advice do I have?

It's a very good solution. It doesn't come without some of its own quirks. We had a few struggles to get certain things working and HPE worked with us through them. Not everything was well-defined in the HPE White Papers. It definitely required working with HPE engineering and the solutions architects to get through that. That being said, the promise of what 3PAR was supposed to do for us, we were able to achieve that.