HPE 3PAR Flash Storage Review

It is a rugged, performance system; it is trouble-free and a workhorse

What is our primary use case?

Our customers use it for primary SAN storage. They have multiple business needs for their enterprise-class business, e.g., for high-end data processing, oil, and natural gas. We also have media customers, who are trying to use it. The businesses are predominantly all verticals who use it.

The performance is awesome. It is one of the best storage products comparatively to like size competitors. I am a big fan of 3PAR.

How has it helped my organization?

It is about the availability and predictably. The performance is also good.

What is most valuable?

It is a rugged, performance system; it is trouble-free and a workhorse. We have a c7000, which with 3PAR makes a great combination for any workload.

What needs improvement?

The following need to be improved:

• The ability to contact the correct HPE resource to give you the right product.
  • We had to undergo at least two or three iterations before we finalized a product which fit. This took time.
  • The availability of technical resources within HPE is becoming a challenge due to availability. They are possibly all busy, or maybe at the headquarters less. I don't know the reason, but this happens every time we have to burn the midnight oil to get some solution out and running.
  • 3PAR needs to keep on increasing its capacity.
  • It needs more array support.
  • It needs to be more data-driven.

It is stable.

We have to go through the non-rolling part of it, and that takes time. We are waiting from HPE to hear (possibly next year) how better InfoSight will be coming into the picture. We are looking for more developments on that front.

So far, technical support has been good. However, we use our own in-house expertise to resolve issues.

We help our customers decide on purchasing new solutions. This is our process:

1. We have a headroom of about 20 to 30 percentage depending on the customer's business. The visibility for the next year on the future annual growth.
  2. Once we hit a headroom of about 60 percentage, we talk to the customer and tell them that they are up for either scalability, compression, or dedupe for their data.
  3. When the capacity hits about 80 percentage, then we buy a new product and app.

Earlier, it used to be complex. Now, we have our own skill set, which has made the installation easier. From the time we gather all the necessary data, it takes about a week (five business days) to set it up and have it running.

We do the system integration for our customers.

Not all of them see ROI, because there is definitely good competition available from NetApp and Hitachi. When you look at the ROI, those are the other two organizations who are making inroads. In terms of product performance, 3PAR is really good.

Cost-wise, it is a little bit on the higher side, but it is an awesome product.

Other competitors in this marketplace are Dell EMC, NetApp, and Hitachi. These vendors are very competitive in terms of pricing.

What other advice do I have?

Product-wise, it is good. In terms of cost, I will leave the choice to them.

Most important criteria that our customers select a vendor:

• Supportability
  • Scalability
  • Financing.

The main reason that our customers choose 3PAR is because of price.