HPE 3PAR Flash Storage Review

Remote Copy for DR is a key feature for us

What is our primary use case?

Normal file storage, SQL databases, Cache databases, and replications to our DR instance. The business needs it covers for us are not highly complex, only a little.

Performance is good. We've had some issues with doing virtual volume updates using Snapshots. We've had some issues with the dedupe garbage collection process as well. Supposedly those have been addressed with the latest OS update that we've yet to apply.

How has it helped my organization?

It has not changed the way we function a whole lot. We were on the P9500 Array before and it had similar capabilities, just different ways of doing it. Still, it has worked well for us.

What is most valuable?

We're using the Remote Copy functionality a lot, just for DR. That is one of the main features that we're highly dependent on and like to use.

Stability has been an issue going back to the dedupe issue.

I haven't had to do a whole lot of scalability with it. We're on a lease model, so we spec'ed it out for what we needed and haven't really had to scale it up at all, for the most part.

We had issues with HPE support, trying to work through that whole dedup issue; it was long and drawn out.

I'm not highly satisfied with support at this point, unfortunately. I am satisfied with our local reps. They have dug in their heels with us and have tried to help, to get a faster time to resolution, but it's the people we were dealing with through the phone and emails who really were not finding the resolution in a timely manner.

The switch was based on that fact that we're on a lease-refresh cycle. That is what really drives this kind of change, for our business.

Our main criteria in selecting a vendor include stability, that is a big one. What really drove us towards 3PAR was having just one vendor; having HPE as both our server and our storage versus HPE for server alone.

The initial setup was straight-forward. We came from the P9500, so it was more or less a rip and replace. It was involved with the project to replace our Blade infrastructure as well, but from start to finish, it probably took six months from design to implementation.

I see the value in investing in 3PAR. I think HPE, overall, is a good partner for us and we're happy. It's just the support that is the only issue that we've had with them. But overall, I'd say we're happy with HPE as a company.

We also evaluated Pure Storage but we wanted to stick with one vendor.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend evaluating it. Depending on what you need for your business, it could be a good fit.

It has been rather stable, other than the couple of hiccups that we've had. Once we've gotten through those, it has been rock solid for us.