HPE 3PAR Flash Storage Review

VVols and Thin Provisioning are important in our development work

What is our primary use case?

It's for storage, provisioning to our R&D teams. The developers provision the storage and test their products. The storage is critical for our development.

How has it helped my organization?

Right now we are looking at automation. Based on my conversation with 3PAR, they are using Ansible to automate the provisioning, so that simplifies the day-to-day operations.

What is most valuable?

• VVols are important for us
  • Thin Provisioning
  • Deduplication

What needs improvement?

We would like to see automation. We are primarily looking at provisioning and deprovisioning the storage, based on the customer requirements.

The stability is good, we really like the stability and uptime.

We have multiple storage arrays, we have yet to expand the existing storage.

We use technical support for firmware updates and any other application issues. The technical support is good.

The decision to find a solution is based on internal requirements. We need storage capacity. Currently, we have, let's say, two petabytes. When we needed more storage then we'll think about expanding the existing storage or buying a brand new system.

The important criterion for us when looking at vendors is performance. We recently evaluated all-flash-based arrays and the hybrid model, and how they handle I/O throughput. Those are the key areas.

We went with 3PAR because it is easy to use and we are very familiar with firmware which is easy to manage. Creating the internal groups and other areas is very easy for us.

The initial setup was straightforward; configured the management interface and it was ready to use. After the physical deployment - you need to connect the power and network - it should not take more than one day, even less than one day.

We are using the same area for multiple product groups and multiple setups. It's a shared environment, so we see a lot of benefits with that model.

We looked at NetApp, Hitachi.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend 3PAR or Nimble. Nimble is all-flash arrays, if you have the budget. Otherwise, we favor 3PAR, the 8000 and 10000 series.

I rate 3PAR at nine out of 10 because of the provisioning, the interface; and now there is InfoSight. We are planning to integrate all our arrays. I see that as valuable.