HPE 3PAR Flash Storage Review

It is flexible, and they have a convenient capacity model that works well for us

How has it helped my organization?

It is status quo from what we came from. We came from ViON and Hitachi. Part of that is our own problem. It is not as much HPE, as to how we are using it. We lifted and shifted, identically from one system to another.

What is most valuable?

It is flexible. We receive a lot of flexibility. We do at capacity on demand (COD), so we do not buy it upfront. They have a convenient capacity model that works well for us. HPE are a sub to the ones we buy it from, but they are the best sub that you could ask for. Whenever we have a problem, they come right onsite.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more openness with other platforms. InfoSight synergy as a whole is great, if I own all HPE products.

It is whoever gets me the best price and value. They win the contract. I need that flexibility to work with, for example, if Dell were to win my server contract or ViON were to run the storage, and I still had HPE servers. I need flexibility for interoperability across multiple platforms, not just HPE.

Three to five years.

We had major issues in years one and two.

Now, it is stable. In the beginning, we had some stability and reliability issues. Over the last three years, it has been very stable and reliable.

It is definitely scalable. We do not have any issues.

The tech support is great. If we have a problem, we literally will have boots on the ground with senior sales people, as well as the people to fix the problem, to help make sure we are taken care of.

It was complex for us, but we were literally migrating nine data centers across the globe, from product A to product B. We got in our way more than anyone else did. I can't judge how the product would be in a typical environment, since we are talking about 75 petabytes over nine data centers. It was a big project.

The product is straightforward enough. If we were to do it as a new implementation, it would not be an issue.

What other advice do I have?

We are happy with it. However, there is always room for improvement.