HPE 3PAR Flash Storage Review

Our throughput has improved as jobs and servers run faster

What is our primary use case?

We use 3PAR for everything. There is not much we don't use it for. Most of our storage is on 3PAR at this point. We run SAP, VDIs, and all of our server infrastructure on it for the most part as mission-critical applications.

What is most valuable?

• Reliability
  • Speed
  • Stability
  • Easy to expand
  • Easy to maintain

The solution’s deduplication functionality works great. We are getting about a 16:1 dedupe ratio on our VM workloads.

It is good and stable.

The availability has been great. We haven't had any outages from the 3PAR itself. Although, we have had two or three outages from the techs coming onsite and working on it, then causing an outage.

The scalability is good. Our storage is small. We don't have petabytes. We have an 8200 right now and only have 16 drives on it. Therefore, we have a lot of room for growth.

All-flash positions our organization for growth. Currently, we are using all-flash, and with the dedupe, it makes it cheaper for us to deploy than other systems.

The call-in support is fine.

The onsite techs have caused outages. However, this issue has been fixed as HPE is now outsourcing this.

We were running out of capacity on our 3PAR 7200, so we bought a new one.

The initial setup was straightforward. The seller came and installed it, setting it up. We had just enough money. It wasn't that big of a deal to start creating LUNs at that point.

We used a reseller, High Performance Technologies, for the deployment. Our experience with them was okay.

They are not a good fit for what we need now. So, we have moved onto another provider.

The solution has increased our performance.

The solution has improved our throughput, as jobs and servers run faster.

Our licensing costs are all lumped together with everything else, so I don't know the breakout.

We looked at 3PAR, Nimble, and Pure storage.

What other advice do I have?

Look at both the 3PAR and Nimble, then see which one is best for your needs. They are both reliable systems which work great. They just run.

We have had 3PAR for a while. So, it has reduced time to deployment by about 10 percent, which is the same as our older platform.