HPE 3PAR StoreServ Review

You can set it up and let the system tune itself. Scales better than other solutions.

What is most valuable?

For me, the most valuable feature is its flexibility. You don't have to pre-plan everything. With more traditional storage systems, you had to decide on the size of your RAID groups and what RAID groups you wanted. A lot of customers don't know that upfront. The nice thing about 3PAR is you can set it up and just let the system essentially tune itself.

How has it helped my organization?

Since 3PAR is self tuning and it optimizes itself to a better level of performance, then that translates to the application level and the business users can get their functions done quicker and more efficiently.

What needs improvement?

I think it needs to become even more automated, especially with all this new hyper-converged functionality, which is really easy to upgrade. It should also be self-healing. The upgrade process is still quite clunky for 3PAR. It receives an alert from itself and then tells you what to do. At the moment it's not that intuitive.

I've been working with 3PAR for about four years now.

We've had very little problems with stability.

It can scale as long as the customer's got the budget.

Technical support could be better. The guys you get on the phone generally are not very knowledgeable. It can often take a while to go through several levels of support to get to the solution.

Initial setup is relatively complex.

I think the license structure is quite transparent and fair.

What other advice do I have?

I'd say are the main two qualities vendor must have is good product and good technical support. Obviously, they must also have a reasonable price.

3PAR is reliable. Although it takes a little bit of time to get set up, once you get set up, it runs itself. The other nice thing about it is that, the 3PAR scales from small to large nicely. Not like other vendors where you have to have several solutions for different size environments.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer:
More HPE 3PAR StoreServ reviews from users
...who compared it with HPE Primera
Learn what your peers think about HPE 3PAR StoreServ. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.