HPE 3PAR StoreServ Review

It has simplified the management of the array.

What is most valuable?

There are tools in place that allowed easy migration from our existing infrastructure, i.e., our EVA arrays. We have a great relationship with HPE that has worked over many years. We have great confidence in what they can deliver for us and that it will fit in well with our existing environment.

How has it helped my organization?

The availability of the 3PAR array is the greatest benefit. The ability to perform upgrades to the machine while it remains online is very valuable. It saved us from making our systems unavailable. In addition, the tools that are built into the 3PAR array are a significant improvement and give us great visibility into what's actually being used and how it's being used. It has simplified the management of the array.

What needs improvement?

If you're familiar with 3PAR, there are multiple GUIs that have been available over a course of time and the new SSMC GUI is excellent. It has great consistency against the HPE line, so that an operator is immediately familiar with it. However, there are a few features that were included in the previous GUI that haven't been brought forward, or maybe are not quite as obvious. I would like to see some of those previous resources brought forward, or at least an option to see an emulation of that previous GUI.

We had great availability and stability with our previous HPE arrays and that has continued with 3PAR. We have not had a single incident of downtime nor have we had any service interruptions of any kind.

Scalability seems to be very good. I think it's been one of the strengths of HPE products in the array space for a long time. With 3PAR, the scalability is excellent.

The technical support is very good. The folks that have come in to work with us, particularly on some of our software upgrades on the machine, have been excellent. The field service staff is just superior.

I was involved in the initial setup and it was complex. There is more to it than there was in previous arrays, but I think that really ties into making the machine valuable to us. We probably have to rely on HPE a little more for the setup, but they did such a great job. I understand that it was necessary and I appreciate it.

Our arrays were getting on the older side. The new array fits in with our existing infrastructure very well. We have a great history with HPE support and it wasn't a difficult sell. We did look at other options, but in reality, because of the long-standing great relationship and outstanding support, we went with HPE.

What other advice do I have?

For their own benefit, they really should consider 3PAR. It's so reliable, functional, has great support from HPE, and it is tied into so many of the HPE family of products. It is a great piece of hardware.

More HPE 3PAR StoreServ reviews from users
...who compared it with HPE Primera
Learn what your peers think about HPE 3PAR StoreServ. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,690 professionals have used our research since 2012.