HPE 3PAR StoreServ Review

Better performance and we're able to use fail-over and load-balancing at different locations

What is most valuable?

Switching from HDDs to SSDs, because of better performance (IOPS) and, hopefully, reliability.

How has it helped my organization?

No improvement for the organization, it's "only" storage, but due to moving from one system to two systems, we are now able to use fail-over and load-balancing functions on different locations.

What needs improvement?

• OS/patch/firmware installation can only be done by a division of HPE Support, which must be coordinated.
  • Error reporting and alarming needs additional VMs per node (SPOCK) and cannot be integrated in HPE Remote Support, which is used for all the other HPE devices (FC Switches, Proliant Servers, etc.).

Approximately nine months, and still in the migration process, so a total assessment of the whole product and it's functionality is still not possible.

So far, no issues with stability.

So far, no issues with scalability.

The level of technical support which we have used up to now has been good, but luckily there have been no major issues. I cannot rate how such issues would be solved.

It's not a different solution, same vendor with the follow-up product, with newer technology and more space.

The setup of the storage itself was OK and not too complex, but there are additional VMs (or appliances) needed for remote support, reporting, etc., which can only be set up by HPE or a partner technician.

The new licensing model includes every function for the same price, and in terms of price, everything is possible if HPE is interested in getting the contract.

Yes, Tintri T850, but at the time of the PoC the solutions provided by Tintri were not scalable enough for future demands.

What other advice do I have?

Everything works as expected but, as stated above, we are still in the process of migrating our data from our old storage.

v3.2.2.612 (MU4)
More HPE 3PAR StoreServ reviews from users
...who compared it with HPE Primera
Learn what your peers think about HPE 3PAR StoreServ. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
513,091 professionals have used our research since 2012.