HPE 3PAR StoreServ Review

If it needs an update, I can do it in the middle of the day with nobody being the wiser

What is our primary use case?

It is our main storage solution for our entire VMware environment.

Everything run on the solution is core: MEDITECH, all the EMRs, and back-ends support services.

We use a combination of flash and spinning disk. For some of our less critical functions, since we run everything on the 3PAR, there is no reason to spend the extra money on flash to run the stuff that is not super mission-critical.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to grow. We added almost 110TB last year alone. Not a lot of product let you throw that in, resulting in the performance that we have been seeing.

It has definitely reduced our time to deployment. We can call up, and say, "I need 110TB," and they configure it so my IOPS stay consistent across 3PAR, Then, I don't actually have to worry about the IOPS. HPE takes care of that for me. I need the space, and they take care of the rest. They install it, and I just provision it, which is nice.

If you can handle the IOPS, throughput is a natural byproduct. Usually, IOPS is where you are capped. HPE has done a great job in making sure that our IOP-intensive EMRs stay up and running. We have really good performance on them.

We run approximately half a billion IOPS every six months. This 3PAR seems to handle it just fine.

What is most valuable?

Expandability and performance are its most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

We do not use Memory-Driven Flash in the old 3PAR. Perhaps we will use it in the new 3PAR. That is part of the reason why we are upgrading.

We aren't using HPE GreenLake Flex Capacity yet. We are looking into it. The old 3PAR didn't support it, but the new 3PAR does.

It is extremely stable. I'm able to do everything that I need to do in the middle of the day without interruption. It has been an absolute fantastic piece of hardware.

The availability is excellent. I have not had any problems with 3PAR.

It runs. I don't have a problem with it. If it needs an update, I can do it in the middle of the day with nobody being the wiser. It is phenomenal in that respect. As a hospital, I get two hours every quarter to reboot things, so it is imperative that nothing goes down.

The scalability is phenomenal.

The technical support is excellent. They do everything.

My old 3PAR is end of life, so it is time to switch.

I haven't done the initial setup yet, and I haven't gone through the initial setup on the new one.

We used HPE technical services for the deployment. They sent another company, Unisys, who was great. They did it all. I didn't have to lift a finger, which makes me happy

I would like it to be cheaper.

We are an HPE shop. Everything that we have is HPE, so we just stuck with them. We have never been upset with HPE. They have been phenomenal, in my opinion.

What other advice do I have?

Check out HPE. They are well worth it.

It pretty much checks all the boxes that I have concerns about moving forward. This version will do dedupe better. We will start to use some of the data classifications where it tiers the storage for us. Of all the bubbles that I care about, it checks them all.

We don't use dedupe on our old 3PAR. We're hoping to use it on the new one.

We don't use InfoSight at the moment. It's something we're looking into, though.

I'm very happy with it. It has performed as I expected.

More HPE 3PAR StoreServ reviews from users