Micro Focus ALM Review

We can define how we structure and execute the tests.

What is most valuable?

In our company, the most interesting thing is that ALM can be used for manual testing. The testers can define, by themselves, how they structure the test and then execute it. All the results, both the positive and negative one, are collected. There is easy defect creation.

On the other side, if you look at it as a project manager, you have to see the results, i.e., the current status of the project.

Afterwards, if you get an outage, it is important that you can show the regulators that you did a good job, you executed everything, and you went in production with a concrete status, with no big issues or critical errors.

What needs improvement?

Our biggest problem with ALM is the version upgrade and especially the migration.

We have 1400 projects which are active. With the next version upgrade, we expect more than 3000 projects that have to be migrated.

The migration itself takes months. Here is something that can be improved. It is very important for us, otherwise each migration would kill us.

I’ve been using ALM since 2004.

If you find the right patch, then it is stable. You can stay with that for years. In our situation, it takes a very long time to roll out a patch and even more time to bring a new release.

ALM is for sure scalable. We are running 1400 active projects with 15,000 users. Concurrently, we have around 1000 users. If there is a performance issue, we have to find out what the reason is. It is true, in most cases, that we need an additional database server. The application servers, if they have enough power, scale a lot.

For such an experienced team as my mine, who have been working with the product for more than ten years, it is not that easy dealing with technical support. They often do not have the knowledge that we have. It takes a while to train them so they understand what our issues are and we have to connect to second or third level support.

The collaboration between HPE and us, especially over the past ten years, has been very good. For that reason, I try to bring in more HPE products, if needed.

3 Comments
author avatarUser at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees

Regarding upgrade: please see the new Robot feature which helps automating the upgrade process.

author avatarTerritory manager with 10,001+ employees
User

Please consider archiving old projects

author avatarManaging Director North American Sales and Services Intland Software at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees

HPE will always struggle in the ALM for the same reason they struggle in all their enterprise software categories and that is scale. Internally the engineers compete for their products and never really get what they want. ALM is not their only business. Global 2000 companies are better served with a single focused ALM provider that lives and breathes ALM. They become close to their customers allowing for custom upgrades.