HPE Apollo Review

The storage area density is the best thing about them. Outside connectivity needs to keep pace with network improvements.

What is most valuable?

We are running Apollo with SL-series servers and the best thing about them is the density of the storage area available. Regarding TCO, total cost of ownership, per terabyte, they are now the best on the market.

What needs improvement?

Connectivity to the outside of the server needs to be improved at the same time the network is improving. This would give us more IO. Of course, this is a firmware lifecycle management issue; there is work to do. Vendors should test the firmware before they are delivered to customers.

Stability is good enough.

Scalability is fine because with this kind of service we can easily scale horizontally. We are more or less satisfied.

The technical support in Finland is fine.

We made a transformation from enterprise storage to an open-source distributed storage architecture. We switched because the pricing is better.

The initial setup was business as usual. It's not so complicated, but of course it takes time.

The price is not significantly lower than the competition, but it's lower than the standard price.

We looked at Dell and Super Micro. They are both on the market in Finland.

What other advice do I have?

You should run the stable firmwares on a test platform for about a month before you roll them out. This is something we have to do that right now.