HPE Apollo Review

When we moved to the Apollo and all flash drives, we gained a lot of performance

What is our primary use case?

We use three Apollo 2600 enclosures with a total of 12 servers as a Splunk cluster for all our log handling.

How has it helped my organization?

In the beginning we used Splunk in a virtual environment and the performance was quite hard on that system. So when we moved to the Apollo and all flash drives, we gained a lot of performance on that.

What is most valuable?

It is quite simple when you get it going. I like the blade concept that makes is so much easier to handle the servers.

What needs improvement?

We unfortunately have tried to used standardization using Ubuntu Linux and it's been hard. They had some difficulties getting the RAID configuration up and running because there are no drivers for it. It's not supported by HPE.

Very much a stable solution. No downtime yet. I think it's a configuration issue on our end but we have burned through quite a lot of the NVM system drives. The system does some swapping somewhere, so that has caused some issues.

It will meet our needs, definitely, going forward.

They have been very responsive and knowledgeable. As I say, we have mostly had trouble with the drives, and we have received the help and the replacement parts that we need.

What other advice do I have?

From my end, I like that we get everything from HPE. So it's quite easy to point at HPE if something breaks. We have the switches from HPE, we have the storage from HPE, the service from HPE. So it's quite easy to get their help when something breaks, because they are responsible for all the parts in our datacenter.