HPE BladeSystem Review
I have found that the HP Proliant series servers have lived up to their moniker, in that they have always been reliable.

Valuable Features

* High Performance

* High Reliability

* "Insight Management" of the hardware

* Compatibility with all of the major Network Operating systems

Improvements to My Organization

It has provided us with a platform on which we have been able to create innovative solutions for our customers at very reasonable prices.

Room for Improvement

It would be nice if they were a little lighter in weight.

Use of Solution

I have used Proliant series servers since they were first introduced.

On rare occasions, I have experienced hardware failures out of the box, but HP, and Compaq before that, were quick to resolve the problem and get the hardware up and running the next business day.

On very rare occasions, instability was experienced due to driver incompatibilities or firmware maladies. HP provided updates or workarounds to get the system stable fairly quickly.

I've never experienced an issue with hardware scalability.

Customer service is outstanding.

Over the years, technical support has gone from outstanding to "needs improvement", and back to "reasonably good". Typically, I've had to push the front line support team to escalate the issue to the back line, and the issue from there was quickly resolved. For hardware failures, it's been necessary from time to time to convince the front line that all of the diagnostic steps needed to isolate and identify the failed component have already been performed, and that what is needed is to get the replacement part. That process has also improved.

The initial setup has been straightforward in that HP has provided "Smart Start" kits to assist in getting their systems up and running very quickly. These kits typically prepare the systems for NOS installation and provide the necessary drivers to successfully discover all of the hardware components installed.

Implementation Team

Other Solutions Considered

I have evaluated Dell and IBM products as part of an overall review of possible solutions for the customer.

Other Advice

If you need assistance in deploying Proliant servers, please feel free to contact me.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I am a Value Added Reseller, working with the end-user to acquire and build the solutions.

1 Comment