HPE BladeSystem Review

The integration with our existing environment, and it's ease of use are valuable.

Valuable Features

Improvements to My Organization

We went from traditional rack servers, consolidated to blades, making management easier. However, we required better capacity planning due to "blade server" lock-in.

Room for Improvement

It needs to be easier to help build OpenStack solutions. It is also lacking container integration which would make adoption easier.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for two years.

There were no issues with the deployment.

We have had no issues with the stability.

It's been able to scale for our needs.

Excellent pre-sales, working both with HP and a VAR, and after sales technical support was good after the first level.

We had used HP rack servers previously.

It was easy. We leveraged VAR resources to help get up to speed with some skills training after installation.

Implementation Team

Vendor assistance is a good idea if you are transition from rack mount servers to blades. Some hand-holding is required, but not much.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

There wasn't much of a change for our pricing/licensing costs. However, we did have an increase in CPU power meaning there was reduction in the number of CPUs which lowered the hypervisor/socket pricing.

Other Advice

Go big or go home, pick a solution, and go with it. There is no wrong way to go - whether you choose rack or blade servers depends on how you grow, and how you want to plan your future capacity.