HPE BladeSystem Review

It made it much more scalable for us to be able to spin up architecture with VMware on top of it.

What is most valuable?

Probably the most value there is the compactness and the density you can get into the data center.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice if it could have better monitoring in terms of iLO and things like that. Some more interoperability between the different generations of blades.

Most recently, with some of our blades in our VDI environment we've had some stability issues. I don't know if that's a problem of HP or if it's a problem with HP with VMware and the VM-HP virtual connect on the backend of the Blade Chassis, but we have had issues in that environment.

We used VMware as a hypervisor on top of our BladeSystems, on our Blade Chassis, and on our blade server. It made it much more scalable for us to be able to spin up new architecture fairly quickly. What we've done is rolled back or moved, relocated some blades from one Chassis to another that didn't have virtual connect.

It's just as they always have been. They've been pretty solid in terms of technical support.

Most everything we had prior to building up our new data center was single server DL380s or 360 single servers. It would take too long to provision a DL380 to give people the access to a single server to be able to then do their development or build a new production environment.

We have a gentleman who's primarily our BladeSystem expert.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that if you're using it as a hypervisor, that you're doing all the pre-work on setup such as knowing the interoperability between different product statures that you're going to run on it.

More HPE BladeSystem reviews from users
...who compared it with HPE Synergy
Learn what your peers think about HPE BladeSystem. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
534,226 professionals have used our research since 2012.