HPE BladeSystem Review

It is easy to manage and to connect to your other infrastructure

What is most valuable?

The HPE BladeSystem is a universal platform for server infrastructure. It is easy to manage and to connect to your other infrastructure, fiber channel network, and so on.

How has it helped my organization?

It's mainly focused on management and reliability. It's a fairly reliable platform, almost no outages. It works perfectly.

What needs improvement?

It could be improved in terms of management, in terms of uptime. When you do the firmware upgrades, it's not acceptable; we have downtime issues. It’s not good with that, but it's getting better and better.

We have been working with HPE BladeSystem C7000 since 2007. Until recently, the firmware updates on the connectivity modules (FC and Ethernet) and Virtual Connect could not be done without downtime. For an enterprise system, this is not acceptable. It is only since last year that we did the first online upgrades without any downtime.

It's very stable; just minor issues; no big issues.

You scale within the enclosure. You get 16 servers and then you can buy extra enclosures. It's scalable.

Technical support is OK. I'm not directly working with support myself, just indirectly. But from what I hear from the engineers, it's OK.

We previously used other HPE servers, just the old ProLiant servers and other lines. We converted to BladeSystems and these products.

Initial setup is quite complex. You have to think before you start.

We chose this solution quite a long time ago. I don’t remember what else we considered. We chose HPE because we were already an HPE customer.

What other advice do I have?

Invest in preparation. The HPE BladeSystems are being succeeded by the Synergy systems, announced last year. That's the successor, so look at that.