HPE BladeSystem Review

Flexible NIC configuration enables us to mix and match speed of our servers' NIC ports

What is most valuable?

We are very happy with flexible NIC configuration features which are possible if you combine the BladeServers with HPE flex switches in the enclosures. You can mix and match the speed of your servers' NIC ports. Its also very easy and fast to deploy new servers.

How has it helped my organization?

It hasn't really made a big impact on our organization. We are not that big, only three people in the server operations group. The use of blade servers has had no impact on organization.

What needs improvement?

Non-disruptive firmware upgrades in all areas of blade technology.

More than five years.

No issues. They have been running very stable through all these years. Of course we have seen memory module, disk, and power supply failures, but not more than we would expect.

No issues.

Tech support is very effective and fast but it depends on the level of your support agreement. We had the P24 level and HPE are very responsive.

We did not have a previous solution.

It was quite straightforward. You have to decide the right power supply option for your enclosure. The best solution is to have PDU in the racks and let the enclosures get power from them. We made the wrong decision with our first enclosures, which were delivered with 3Ph power supplies built in, which made the initial preparation and later relocation more expensive for each enclosure. Today, you can’t buy the 3Ph power supplies.

None.

What other advice do I have?

• It’s advisable to maintain and operate an updated HPE management solution along with the BladeSystem, which will assist in failure alerting, operations, automation, etc.
  • Remember that blades are most cost effective if you can fill all the bays in the enclosures.
  • It's advisable to use HPE networking switches, if your networking department can accept this.