Pgzybd0n 400x400

HPE Content Manager Review
The most valuable features are the record web services interface and SharePoint integration. IDOL integration can be improved.

Valuable Features:

The most valuable features are primarily the record web services interface and SharePoint Integration, although there is a lot that can be worked upon in the integration space.

Integration helps organizations build internal relationships with other products and communicate effectively. No wonder sole EDRMs like Objective, etc., are losing their charm as they remain into their own space without considering the overall enterprise paradigm. Look at SharePoint. It is good, but cannot replace HPE CM, as it doesn’t handle a large capacity of storage units.

Improvements to My Organization:

RM 8.3.9365 or patch 3 is still under development. I myself have suggested a lot of improvements and defects, and they are being addressed. Although it is user friendly, it needs work to be at it’s best.

Room for Improvement:

IDOL integration: With as much as 180 million records and 80 TB of data and 18,000 users, I can see IDOL not behaving as expected, and I work with IDOL experts to seek workarounds to issues. IDOL is a good product, but more careful planning could have been done to see some more robust outcomes. Performance across 40 content engines is poor, as some CE’s don’t work compared to others in the engine layer.

Use of Solution:

I have used Records Manager 8 for about a year now, but TRIM for many years.

Stability Issues:

We had stability issues primarily with performance, where title searches slowed down compared to previous versions. TRIM was stable with DCI itself, although it had its own bottlenecks.

Scalability Issues:

We now have 2 proxies, 5 distribution servers and about 40 IDOL engines with tons of data on CEs. It is a scalable solution, but we see performance degradation and maintenance nightmares. Design could be improved to allow vertical build up as opposed to the horizontal approach, which is what HPE proposes now.

Technical staff/support is good. Some of them whom I deal with are pretty good and some of them are just smart spokespersonnel who could just confuse rather than convince.

Support staff overall rating in my view is 4/5.

Previous Solutions:

TRIM is a reliable solution and has EDRMS compatibility, which others products lack. Hence, we never really looked at other products.

Initial Setup:

Initial setup was straightforward and clear.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

It is expensive, especially the CM versions. But if you need it, you pay for it.

Other Solutions Considered:

We evaluated Objective and SharePoint mostly.

Other Advice:

Go for it. It works reliably for average-sized organizational structures.

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About HPE Content Manager?

Our experts can help. 214,659 professionals have used our research on 5,590 solutions.