HPE ConvergedSystem Review

Flexible with good restore functionality and excellent technical support

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for recovery and backup purposes.

How has it helped my organization?

Even we could not restore some of our systems by using some conventional methods. Instead of using the SimpliVity backup and restore methods, we can easily restore our data without any risk. That is the advantage of these systems.

What is most valuable?

The flexibility is the most advantageous aspect of the solution. Our system has a very big environment. Due to this, the replication and backup operation is not an easy task. We prefer HPE SimpliVity modules in our environment, even when we have some different cases in operations.

So far we have been very comfortable with these kinds of devices.

What needs improvement?

In terms of our HPE ConvergedSystem, currently we use Gen8 Blade Systems and HPE c7,000 chassis in our environment. We have a three-part 7400 module in our environment. We also have StoreOnce 6000 models here for backing up our operating systems. Currently, we have problems with the HPE StoreOnce module in regards to the backup operations. This is because sometimes we can lose our backup reports storage from the Veeam side. We checked this issue on the HPE side and it was suggested to us to use the catalyst model instead of a 6-sharing model. They say that this approach can solve our issues easily, but we are still testing to see if this is the case.

Full flash systems require high utilization of the application. Due to this, HPE changed their systems into full flash modules. Currently, we use inbuilt modules in our environment. These kinds of modules require fast disks and SSD disks, but SSD disks are generally used for the caching of operations. The majority of our data is located on the fast disk. Due to this, sometimes we experience some ancillary issues.

The solution needs to add NFS features.

I've been using the solution for eight years.

Currently, we do not have enough experience regarding the full flash system's efficacy. We have new projects and we still have the old SimpliVity nodes. We have some POCs in the works in our environment.

In terms of scalability, these types of devices are very successful in expanding. This is due to the fact that you can expand simply by adding nodes and changing the size of the storage. It's easy.

HPE is very good in terms of providing assistance as required. We do not have any issues with the support side of this device. We're quite satisfied with their level of service.

We tested EMC with three ACI systems in our environment. As far as I remember, we put our exchange systems on the environment. However, they failed. We tested Nutanix's Systems in our environment as well. Both of these were tested in our environment quite a long time ago.

HPE pricing is generally high for these devices. Using HPE Servers in the SimpliVity module, it should in theory be possible to decrease pricing to a reasonable amount. However, at the moment, the pricing remains high.

What other advice do I have?

Most of our landscape is HPE products at the moment. We also have an EMC Backup Appliance in our environment. Currently, we have HPE Blade in our environment. We are thinking of changing all of these products. At the end of this year, we'll probably target HPE Synergy Systems hardware in our environment. Some of the projects require unified storage on our environment due to this. We prefer a storage model, like EMC.

Currently, we also use the HPE Converged Systems. We have SimpliVity nodes in our environment. We use these nodes for most systems, but we are currently having some difficulties in terms of IO utilization issues. We will probably change the systems to SL systems.

In our current situation, HPE still suggests to use the new HPE SimpliVity System in our environment, however, there are some difficulties with the implementation of this project. The project requires NFS sharing on the ACI side.

In terms of advice to others considering the solution, with the implementation of the systems, the networking connections and VLAN settings can be done by VSAT. It would make the implementation of this kind of device simpler. New users may need to add some sort of storage access like NFS. I don't know whether putting in another controller into these devices would help. The virtualization platform can be run on a different controller.

I would caution that a user needs to calculate their IOPS and utilization size very well. If the application requires intensive party access and if they are not in the scope of the application of the SimpliVity devices, the entire application requires the IO of the hard disk located on the SimpliVity.

It's important to run a POC before implementing any application on this kind of ACI system. ACI systems cannot be addressed by every general application. You have to know your application and know your application requirements, and test your application requirements on each appliance. Then, you can proceed to the production environment on the ACI side. Sometimes your application may not be suitable for the ACI systems.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

More HPE ConvergedSystem reviews from users