HPE Ethernet Switches Review

Offers standard security such as 802.1x, RADIUS/TACACS authentication, port-security, DHCP snooping

What is most valuable?

It has standard layer 2 functions with basic layer 3 features if needed. It offers standard security such as 802.1x, RADIUS/TACACS authentication, port-security, DHCP snooping and much more.

What needs improvement?

Interface types, such as offering more of a mixture of 1Gb and 10Gb fiber/cooper interfaces. Faster backbone speeds when stacked.

HP 2920 The companies I have installed it for have kept it for roughly for 2-3 years.

No issues. However, the CLI is a bit different from Cisco but once you have the HP terminology down it’s easy so long as you plan the deployment properly.

I haven’t heard any complaints from customers that I worked with.

No. These switches can be outfitted with two 10Gb modules on the back for up links to other switches or to hosts. It can also be stacked with another 2920 for better port density.

Clients who choose the HP 2920 switch 9 times out of 10 had older Cisco switches. They felt moving to HP would be more cost effective.

It was straightforward especially if you're a custom to using Cisco switches. The CLI and terminology are a bit different and might confuse several engineers. Fortunately, HP has released a document that states the equivalent HP commands.

I have helped clients weigh out the pro’s and con’s and in the end it always came down to cost and 9 times out of 10 HP won the cost battle.

What other advice do I have?

Weigh out the Pro’s and Con’s between Cisco and HP and consider price as a last resort. Also, from my experiences it’s best to go with one solution then to mix and match different vendors.
More HPE Ethernet Switches reviews from users