HPE Ethernet Switches Review

Both config and replicate configs are pretty easy on HP switches.

What is most valuable?

Manageability and interfacing with other various networking management platforms have been most valuable for us. We use SolarWinds and are looking at Omnivew.

How has it helped my organization?

The warranty is great and so is lifetime on most hardware. Both config and replicate configs are pretty easy on HP switches.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a POE ability added to the devices. We’ve used a lot of POE switches recently, HP and non-HP, and we want to standardize on HP. Our requirements are often that we need a very small 8-port switch and would like a version like this.

Also, I’d like to see the functionality of higher-end switches and some features of the 2900 series on the lower-end ones as well.

I’ve put in a few solutions, including HP and others in the past. I had problems with Extreme and Cisco, but only minimal ones with HP.

It actually has great scalability. We have high-end switches and are putting in a core switch in the next few months. We also use managed switches. Every need has a solution.

It’s been great. I’ve reached out directly to the account rep who is very willing to help. With issues, they are able to help directly when our channel partners who can’t help. Support is timely, too, and it's easy to get to a live person.

We used a mixed bag of various vendors, but wanted to standardize on one platform that we knew was stable, reputable, and easily serviced by multiple channel partners if needed. We looked at others, but HP dominated.

We’ve engaged with many channel partners, and it has been very straightforward. We tweaked things here and there. We forgot a parameter, etc., but nothing big.

• Extreme
  • Cisco
  • Lower end switches – Linksys

What other advice do I have?

Cost, reliability, serviceability, warranty, and not needing to purchase a support pack each year are important in helping choose the right vendor.

Depending on what you need to accomplish the different models of the switches, start at the bottom and work up. A lot of functionality in the lower end switches may not be a need for the higher ones. Also, look at the stacking on the lower end switches.

Support is great when needed, pricing is great, warranty can’t be beat, and lots of partners out there.

More HPE Ethernet Switches reviews from users