HPE Ethernet Switches Review

Valuable Features

We're quite basic users of the product, so we like how simple it is to setup. We're standardized across the board on HP products, and we like that fact that they do have products that fit our needs. Plus, they're easy to install when we get them. They're easy to use once they're in and they're robust with a lifetime warranty.

Improvements to My Organization

We're able to standardize on just a small number of HP products, switches included. Supportability is very important to us, so the fact that we can standardize on reasonably priced switches has made us more efficient.

Room for Improvement

We're quite basic users, but what I'd really like to see improvement on is the management. We've made an investment in the product and I'd like to better leverage it through improved management to work better for our company.

It's deployed just fine for us.

It's very stable and we have very few issues with it. The fact that they come with lifetime warranties makes it even better for us.

The scalability is very good and we're using it in all 85 of our locations.

I've not used technical support, and that's a good thing.

Other Solutions Considered

We do pricing reviews to make sure that we're still getting good value for the money, and we are. We haven't really got any issues with the products, so there's not really any reason to change to those.

4 Comments
Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employeesConsultantTOP 20

Hi Ashley,

The GUI in HP switches is very basic but the CLI is very simple compared to Cisco or others (essentially HP licensed IOS 15 years ago and then simplified it for small-medium businesses). If you want a powerful management solution, you should invest in their IMC management platform; it's not very expensive and it can do just about anything you can think of. As an added bonus, it supports pretty much any device that has SNMP (I've loaded servers, UPSs and even generators and printers into it with ease) so it provides a great view of what in your environment might be playing up.

Cheers,

Michael

Mark ArmstrongConsultant

On my current project we are using 3800 core, 5400 dist and 1910 access on a newly deployed LAN. We have circa 1000+ ports across around 35 switches.

Overall they represent good value for money but coming from a cisco world I find vlan propagation "GVRP" and trunking to be rather clunky, the web only interface for the 1910 is a pain "I know about the extended commands via serial" and telnet access would make life easier.

Management and access control are quite straight forward "MS NPS and Solarwinds" but config backups especially for the 1910's are a pain.

The big issue for me would be finding support if your network guy walked! not many contractors know their way around them and that could blow away any cost saving you made by going with HP.

My thoughts

Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employeesConsultantTOP 20

The 1910 series are really a SOHO switch but they do most of what many organisations need and are absurdly cheap. The downside is that they cripple the UI.

GVRP is somewhat clunky but it is the standard (whereas Cisco VTP is easier but proprietary); similarly MSTP (if you run it) can also be painful compared to PVST+ (which HP have licensed from Cisco but not for the 1910s).

HP Trunks are pretty trivial once you get used to them; just make sure that if you have 1910s that you use LACP rather than the native trunks or you'll have issues getting them to fully establish.

I can't comment regarding support in your local area (I live in Sydney) but overall there is somewhat a dearth of decent HP engineers. I have provided remote support into countries like Malaysia and I'm sure that you could probably find other engineers that would offer the same service.

Mark ArmstrongConsultant

Unfortunately the 1910's were numerous and were redeployed "not my
choice" the product familiarity in the UK is an issue as despite the
cost they are not a popular product, I have come across all kinds of kit
entrasys, extreme, avaya, huawei, zte etc but finding people to support
these products is like finding unicorns.

The STP side of things isnt a huge shock as I have had to dig deep into
that kind of thing for CCIE switching knowledge and it doesnt worry me!
Just inconvenient when you know theres something else that works
straight out of the can.

Management MIBs, alarms and all the usual are quite good now! The
strange thing being you can still see traces of 3COM in certain aspects,
the one other thing I found a little odd was the stacking feature which
when compared to cisco is not what I would class as best of breed.

I thank myself lucky that the market for enterprise class equipment is
pretty much cisco's realm and that I don't deal with these variations on
a theme that often .