HPE Ethernet Switches Review

Easy to use and configure and has a lifetime warranty

What is our primary use case?

Most of our switches are located within the local office.

What is most valuable?

The best feature of this solution is the lifetime warranty.

This solution is easy to use and to configure.

What needs improvement?

This solution needs to support software-defined networking.

The management needs to be more open so that they can be easily managed using external software.

I would like to see support for integration with hyper-converged solutions. For example, I would like to be able to manage these switches from VMware or from a Nutanix platform.

They need a new way to manage the access control system. They do have a solution for this, but it is very complicated and not suitable for the SMBs. It may be fine for large enterprises, but not for small companies.

We have been using this solution for about ten years.

This solution is very stable. We have rarely, perhaps one or two times, seen bugs, and they were not very serious. It's very stable compared to other routers.

In terms of scalability, I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

We have not dealt with technical support for this solution.

We have reached out to our local partner, but it was just for clarification. Whenever we want to buy a new switch, we want to confirm the features like the stacking protocol. In terms of support, we have never had an issue that required we contact HPE.

The initial setup of this solution is easy. It is similar to Cisco and Huawei. There is not a big difference. They are all easy in terms of use and configuration.

The deployment takes between half a day and a day. There are advanced tools, and there is a template for configuration. You just have to change some parameters and that's it.

In some implementations that are large, people may need the right support from HPE or from local partners to do the configuration. It takes certain skills to do it properly.

We handled the deployment ourselves.

Whenever we purchase a new switch, we give everybody a chance. We have evaluated Cisco and Huawei hardware.

What other advice do I have?

When it comes to HPE switches, as a recommendation, in the end it depends on the requirements. They have to know exactly what they need because HPE has all types and all levels of switches. They keep changing models, and sometimes we have challenges because we find out that two years later, the model is discontinued. Because of this, I say that it is important to purchase the latest model, and not one that is two or three years old because in another year it will be discontinued.

More HPE Ethernet Switches reviews from users