HPE Ethernet Switches Review

Easy to stack multiple switches for additional ports, but technical support needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for the customer's assurances in medium-size businesses.

The deployment model that we are using is on-premises, but it is going more and more in the cloud direction.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the IRF. It is very good, it has a multi-connection that you can do with multiple aggregation protocols to different chassis and this is a very valuable feature.

It's easy to stack more switches together if you need more ports.

What needs improvement?

Technical support needs improvement.

Customer awareness, as in the availability of the products, needs to be improved through marketing or other information.

Currently, we haven't seen any new switches and we don't know if there will be others.

In the next release, I would like to see them include more features like the Aruba solution, to have more possibilities concerning the software design.

I have been using this solution for nine years.

This solution is very stable. It's a very good solution.

This is a scalable solution. With the IRF you can stack the switches willfully together locally or geographically. You can have the same switch even if you have a switch ten kilometers away from your location.

Technical support needs improvement.

The initial setup is straightforward and easy.

The time it takes to deploy depends on if the customer. An SD solution that will use management to configure the switches automatically will take minutes. If you have to configure a stand-alone switch it can take half an hour.

For ten customers there may be one person to deploy the switch and maintain it. You would rarely have to replace a switch.

There is no license for this solution.

We need a license for having a management solution, but the switch does not need a license. There are free software updates and there is a lifetime warranty for a few of the switch series.

If a customer has an issue with a switch and has to return to HPE, they can have it replaced within thirty days.

To our customers, we offer a contract service to have an exchange within the next day.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest not to invest in this switch. Aruba, which is also HPE, has a great switch. Aruba is taking over these types of switches because of the DLAN and WLAN.

I agree that HPE provides good products but I would go with Aruba OS.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Reseller.
More HPE Ethernet Switches reviews from users