HPE Hyper Converged Review

Resilient datacenter virtualization with good duplication and compression

What is our primary use case?

Our main use of the HPE Hyper Converged is for datacenter consolidation.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the ease of use, resiliency of solution and data protection.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more flexibility in the offered configurations.

For instance a software-only version of the solution, without the hardware, would be nice. This would give me the opportunity to use existing hardware in my datacenter and run the Simplivity software on top of that giving me access to all nice features of the Data Virtualization Platform of Simplivity.

I haven't had any issues with stability.

It fulfills all my needs. All the things I need to scale everything up is possible with the solution. It depends of course on how many users have already used it. I have no plans to increase, but the solution allows for growth. I just don't actually use it today.

So far, the support has been really good.

Adding InfoSight to Simplivity will make support even better with its AI engine.

I used the previous generation of HPE hyper converged, which was based on VSA technology. We switched because the VSA was going to end of support and I need a solution that is supported by the manufacturers.

It was really straightforward. The deployment took in total somewhere around two hours.

I did the deployment by myself.

When I look at the TCO of this solution is this much better compared to my old traditional environment

I watched to vSAN and Storage Spaces, but found some limitations that I did not see in the HPE solution.

What other advice do I have?

The assessment of the current configuration is the most important to make a good sizing of the new solution because it does good duplication and compression, but it's really hard to select the correct product sizing.

I would rate this solution as nine out of ten because ten is perfect and there is nothing on the market that is perfect.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer:
More HPE Hyper Converged reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Dell EMC, Nutanix and others in Hyper-Converged (HCI). Updated: June 2021.
509,820 professionals have used our research since 2012.