HPE Hyper Converged Review

Saves us time but it is too expensive to scale

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to keep all our data storage in one solution.

What is most valuable?

What I really like about this program, is that it needs little space and it works really fast, so it saves us time.

What needs improvement?

I would really like to see an improvement in the stability. We've experienced a few issues with the stability, because HP brings out a new version every month, and that's very complicated. For instance, we see firmware from the host, vSphere itself, and then there are many steps you have to do in a very short time. I would prefer fewer updates because we as customers, who don't have IT experience, aren't familiar with these steps and it is really difficult for us.

In the next version, I would like to see an easier upgrade procedure that doesn't take much time and that is easier to understand.

I've been using the solution for about one year now.

The solution is not very stable.

I believe the solution is scalable, but the license gets more expensive if you add more users. And then you also need more hardware from HP when you scale. You need the license from vSphere, from VMware, and then it costs a lot. That makes us wonder if it is really the best solution for us. I, therefore, think it is just too expensive to scale.

I am not very impressed by the technical support. The problem is that HP came out years ago and it was independent. But then HP bought out DVT so we had to learn how to work on the new equipment and how it works. That was not easy and the support was medium. You have to do it a lot for yourself.

The solution is expensive - not only the hardware costs but server costs too. And the more you scale, the more expensive it gets.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be to clearly know what you want. Do you want more disk space? More storage? What is your goal with this program? In a hyper-converged environment you have many applications that need more storage and then it gets expensive. Also if you want to scale and if you have to do backups and make snapshots. If you need regular storage, you simply use a disc in and it's easier.

I rate this solution a five or six out of ten.

More HPE Hyper Converged reviews from users