Micro Focus Network Node Manager Review

Scalability is actually one of the reasons why we picked this.

What is most valuable?

It gives us a good overview of what's happening in our networks and the devices in the networks. And it allows us to act very quickly when some problem is detected.

How has it helped my organization?

When some metric device has some issue, for example there is some server connected that hosts some application, and that application might be a web portal or internet banking customer we are providing services for, when this device is down service is not available to the customers of our customers.

What needs improvement?

As the technologies evolve, also these solutions or the monitoring tools should evolve to cover the progress in technology, including capabilities related to monitoring of virtualized devices today, as the DNS is on the table in this way.

I have been working with it for nine years.

In my experience it's very stable. We haven’t had any problems so far, such as unexpected breaks or a server going down. So, in this sense, I would say that it is very, very stable.

Scalability is actually one of the reasons why we picked Node Manager. With one instance you can monitor from a couple of hundreds up to several thousands of devices. So it's very good.

We have Premier support from HPE. We are very, very satisfied with support because we have one dedicated resource in support, so he knows our environment. Every time we have some minor issue we don't need to explain what version of the software are we running, how our environment looks like and so on, because he knows this already.

When I started to work for the company, it was already implemented. But nine years ago when we started, we had 3 Network Node Manager servers and right now we have 19. So, over time, I have definitely been involved in implementing the solution. It is very very straightforward. You just deploy the installation package; it's not an issue.

We evaluate other solutions on do it in regular basis. Basically, we check the markets to see what’s there. We have HPE now and we use test cases to check the market; is any new solution available and, based on those test cases, HPE wins or HPE does not. So far it's winning.

Last year we evaluated SevOne. It wasn't so bad and it provided similar features like Network Node Manager. But that additional value was not high enough. So we are eager to implement it because implementation is a big job and it can take month to do. If we saw that it was really, in some way, much better than Network Node Manager and it was worthy to implement it, we would have done so.