HPE Nimble Storage Review

Great architecture and verification features

What is our primary use case?

The companies that bought this solution from us use it for VMware. They have also used some Oracle in the Red Hat operating system. It's mostly used for the VMware environment. The companies we provide the solution to are generally medium size; one of them is a hospital and the other is an agency that controls the sale of gas. We are partners of HPE Nimble Storage and I'm the technical manager of the company.

What is most valuable?

A valuable feature for me is the architecture which is pretty good. We have a good throughput and we like that they have a lot of IOPS and low latency is also pretty good. And we also like the verification features because we get some good things with the method Nimble takes to duplicate. If you have a hybrid secondary storage, it allows you to do remote copy, data recovery and business continuity with the solution. And the integration with some other solutions is also good. For now, Nimble has a way of integrating with each solution, it's very good.

What needs improvement?

When I'm competing against someone, I would like Nimble to be an active-active controller. As it is now, Nimble is an active-passive controller. If the customer is looking for an active-active controller, then we can't use Nimble and have to go with Primera. Nimble gives us a lot of good things, but without the active-active controller, it's pointless.

We've been using this solution for a year.

The technical support is pretty good. We do the iteration ourselves, because we have the experience and we provide first-hand support, given the service qualifications that HPE expects from us. Beyond that, Nimble has good support, because it also has Infosight, another value-added solution for Nimble. Infosight has around 10 years of log collection. We provide good first line support to our customers and I think it's important for them to have that.

Nimble competes against IBM Storwize and Dell. The main reason we went with Nimble was that we have over 10 years of experience with Infosight.

What other advice do I have?

We'll use this solution more in the future. With what I see now with the segregated hyper-converged infrastructure, I think that Nimble is going to get a lot more clients because hyper-converged solutions are a closed box and customers want this kind of solution. Customers felt that with the hyper-converged solutions, their hands were tied.

I would recommend this solution. It's been around for over 10 years, working with machine learning in artificial intelligence. It has inline deduplication for all flash storage, and a hybrid version that gives a lot of features. It's an architecture that's based on the controller.

The only drawback of this solution is the active-passive controller, otherwise I rate it very highly.

I rate this solution a nine out of 10.

More HPE Nimble Storage reviews from users
...who compared it with HPE Primera
Learn what your peers think about HPE Nimble Storage. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
534,226 professionals have used our research since 2012.