HPE Nimble Storage Review

The Performance Integration with Commvault is valuable for us.

How has it helped my organization?

• Data Protection is superb with downstream DR Nimble arrays.
  • Confidence in support and not being afraid to keep up to date.

What is most valuable?

• Simplicity, ease of upgrade of software (no downtime)
  • Performance Integration with Commvault
  • InfoSight reporting
  • Support – World Class
  • The Web GUI interface is easy to use and self-explanatory. From the Web GUI you can register the array plugin to vCenter and from within the VMWare Client and the Web Client you have array integration to allow you to Clone Snapshots and present the clone to the ESXi hosts in a couple of mouse clicks. This feature allows VM power users with the appropriate permissions (set in vCenter) to Clone, Snapshot, Expand, delete and even change the Nimble Protection (Snapshot) schedule without needing array logon credentials or needing to go onto the array Web GUI. Commvault recognizes the Nimble arrays through it’s API so we can trigger app consistent snapshots for various products like MS SQL, Oracle, My SQL,Exchange …. The list is expansive. Nimble do provide Exchange and MS SQL out of the box also. There is also a Nimble Connection Manager for VMware (NCM) that automatically set the Path Selection Policy optimized for VMware ESXi/Nimble performance.

What needs improvement?

• Web GUI should be HTML5.
  • Use smaller form factor disk to provide more spindles. Streaming Backup I/O overnight would dent performance if we were a 24*7 business. Most of our workload is 07:30 -18:30.

No, but the SSD cache could do with increasing on some of our system. That’s a financial (Bean Counter) decision.

The best support ever. They will even assist if the problem lies with Hyper-V, VMware and networking. This is why I don’t think you can go wrong with Nimble!

• NetApp, EMC, Dell EqualLogic.
    • NetApp relies on lots of disk and was a nightmare to keep up to date. Updating was a major project when it happened.
    • NetApp? To complicated and the extras like snap manager for Exchange very expensive. The others? Not much experience of EMC or EqualLogic.

Really simple.Nimble asks you various questions about IP addresses and then you get a pre-installation checklist. If you didn’t have a clue they’d guide you on the phone initially and then do a WebEx session to get you there. Simple.

Competitive. No licensing. Since everything is included.

Tintri

What other advice do I have?

They have All Flash arrays if people are concerned about Hybrid performance.

The support is the major factor in choosing Nimble and the performance has been great in all our Mix Load environments.

More HPE Nimble Storage reviews from users