HPE Nimble Storage Review

Easy to use, makes things less complex, and InfoSight has helped us find bad drives

What is our primary use case?

For my new company, we bought tens of them, almost 50. Our use case is to swap out the existing FCoE infrastructure from one of the other array providers and switch to Nimble because we were having performance issues. And the use case is more for our KSN databases. We chose Nimble because we need high performance, low latency, and a good price for SSD. We PoC'ed, and they won.

How has it helped my organization?

It makes things less complex. It's a simple product and does what it's supposed to do.

What is most valuable?

Regarding InfoSight, I have installed eight of them out of the 50 units we bought, and we have found, with the analysis, bad drives and we have been able to figure it out ourselves.

It's easy to use, it's just like 3PAR. I made clusters of 32 hosts with 50 volumes and that took barely an hour. I scripted a lot of it, filled in the names of volumes, the names of servers. It just spit it out and ran it and it was fine.

What needs improvement?

I want it to be an active-active array. Nimble would be great as an active-active array because then everything checks out. It would give a feeling of comfort.

Less than one year.

We've only had it for about a month so I can't really comment on the stability. It hasn't been that long.

We bought our Nimbles half-populated on the A-side, so I have scalability right there. If I wanted to add more drives, I would just populate the B-side. It scales from 9.60 all the way to 7.60 now (or is it 3.68?) - I'm not sure. That is a 4x difference. But thinking about scalability, we're getting dedupe ratios of a minimum of 15 all the way up to 700.

Tech support goes above and beyond. We had to downgrade one of them because we want to be on the stable release, not necessarily the cutting edge. I called up and they showed up and did it for me, no issues. It's pretty good.

We had 10 requirements and they filled most if not all the checkboxes, except for the active-active controller piece.

Setting up Nimble is easy. It takes five minutes. You run "Setup" and that is it. Put an IP on and it's ready to go.

Other arrays are 2x if not 3x the price.

EMC, NetApp, and Pure storage too.

What other advice do I have?

Do the hard work and it pays for itself. Do a PoC and, when you check your requirements, it will fill in most of them if not all.

This solution is a nine out of 10 because it's not active-active. If it was active-active it would be a 10 because the data reduction is so good it's ridiculous.

More HPE Nimble Storage reviews from users