HPE OneView Review

Allows you to manage multiple environments with the same interface.

What is most valuable?

OneView is the software stack that is running on top of Synergy and on top of the HPE Hyper Converged 380 solution. Customers who buy separate servers can install it, and all the various elements, themselves.

OneView is the one tool where you can manage your build environment, the hyper-converged environment, or the Synergy environment yourself.

The user experience makes it easier for the administrator because new, not so new, and old environments will be managed in the same way. There is an efficiency thing as well because you don't have to be an expert in hybrid IT (private cloud and public cloud). It's the same interface for all of them.

What needs improvement?

I’d like to see more functionality going towards the hybrid IT. It is cloud economics in which we will see more and more of the private cloud and their own data centers as well.

The connection with Azure Stack, which was recently announced, demonstrates the connection between the local data center and Microsoft Azure. I see more and more features that will come together.

Can't be easier: eploy the OVA file, boot the appliance and enter the IP address and password... That's it!

I have experience with Versions 1.0, 1.1, and 2.0. I have seen the evolution. Version 3.0 is a major step forward. Of course, Versions 4.0 and 5.0 will be better as well. That's the way it works in software.

I've been in IT a long time, so I realize that by attending conferences, such as a recent one, it’s not just for the announcements. For me, it's more of a networking thing, shaking hands, and getting to know people. At these events, you can meet the developers and the product managers. It opens up doors so you can become more independent of that one phone number. It’s quite important knowing people.

If you do the networking, you feel that the service you get is top notch. You get even more service. It makes it easier to get to the second and third line of support because you know what you're talking about. You get more information than just the marketing fluff. I know what it's about because I'm able to communicate directly with the hardware and software guys and the product managers.

One of my things I do in my company is publish a technology blog which is quite technical for the type of audience that I have. OneView is a simple installation. My nine-year-old daughter can do it.

In my pre-sales role, I see other customers looking at competitive solutions, be it Intel, EMC, or Nutanix. They all have some strengths.

The Nutanix solution is cool, because it's simple. But it's software and I'm not convinced about any of the hardware underneath it. Some people say, "Yeah, the hardware's not important." However, I have some real-life scenarios, cases with customers, in which it was proven that they had the software, they had the hardware, but they had a hardware issue and the software screwed up.

I prefer to go for the HPE solution. This is not because Nutanix is bad, but they are just a software company, independent of the hardware. I feel more confident with HPE because I know they build the hardware and the software. If I have a problem, I can contact one person with one phone number and I can make contact. I know the hardware guy and I know the software guy.

With Nutanix, for instance, this is not the case. They also say, “we have one phone number," but if they have a problem with the rate controller in their server, they have to call Dell or Lenovo. They have to escalate the case. They are not going to be able to solve my problem. They are going to escalate it. I'm with HPE. I know that HPE will solve my problem directly.

What other advice do I have?

You know all the good stuff and the not so good stuff about software, but OneView 3.0 is there now.

3.0
**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I am an independent trainer and presales consultant
More HPE OneView reviews from users
...who compared it with Cisco UCS Manager
Find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Cisco, Micro Focus and others in IT Infrastructure Monitoring. Updated: June 2021.
511,607 professionals have used our research since 2012.