HPE OneView Review

It helps our customers deploy infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

OneView is a tool that we use primarily to speed up the deployment operations of infrastructure. We use it to eliminate human error in deployments and it allows us to compute much faster. It gives us a very easy program for the REST API interface. To summarize, the benefits are speed of deployment and reduced errors

How has it helped my organization?

In terms of our role as a HPE reseller, we are able to provide a distinct solution in the market place. It really helps our customers do a better job deploying infrastructure faster. One of the things we do is provide skills transfer.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see some GUI based features around decommissioning hardware. The management tools in the existing HPE infrastructure were good, but they were aging. That's really where OneView kind of made their mark from the ground up with an all new solution. They actually started from the ground up to just understand that our existing management tools were aging and we needed to improve that. That was a big thing to us.

The solution is pretty stable. We are in revision 3. It has been over three years now, and every revision has gotten better. One of the advantages of OneView is that even if something happens, it doesn't affect the work.

Scalability is decent. They've recently released a tool called OneView mobile dashboard. This allows you to aggregate a number of OneView appliances. The benefit is that the OneView implementation can be in separate data centers and you can aggregate things. Individual scalability was already decent and then with the addition of One View mobile dashboard, it has significantly improved.

Technical support is pretty good and it is getting better all the time. When the tool set first launched, the HPE support organization had some challenges. From what I've heard from customers, the consensus is that the HPE support staff is getting better.

At the time, we were managing our HPE blade systems with Virtual Connect Manager and an on-board administrator. This was the normal HPE tool set that existed at the time.

When choosing a vendor, support is important. As a re-seller, when we take a product to market and sell it to costumers, we really need to be confident that we've been able to put it through its paces. We want to know about the testing and quality assurance ourselves. We don’t want to take the vendor's word for it.

Once we've decided to move forward with that partnership, it becomes important for us that we have a deep bench system behind us. If we run out of runway, we want to know that we've got a partner to resolve things for us.

The initial setup was straightforward.

HPE was a big one on our short list. We also have reseller relationships with Dell, Nutanics, and Pure Storage. We represent about 50 different vendors. We chose HPE, because we feel like they have the most complete kind of eco-system level vision.

What other advice do I have?

If you have HPE compute in place today, you should definitely look at using OneView. If you're looking at selecting a compute vendor, I think HPE OneView is a compelling reason to go with HPE.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are an HPE re-seller.